Largescale Breast Reduction, DD to B--Possible?

I'm relatively short, and used to be extremely muscular tone, but after highschool my bust became so large that it hurt to continue to do the sports I did in school, running and swimming and track and field. I am NOT interested in keeping a "shapre" or any of these worries that surgeons have considering my body. The smaller my bust, the happier I will be. I do not want to go under the knife more than necessary, so is it possible to take off 3/4 of the tissue in one go? Scars are irrelevant to me.

Pain relief without large reduction

Your main complaint is pain.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction which relieves pain by breast weight transfer.  You may be happier with this procedure because it allows you to select the breast size you desire, relieves the pain and avoids unnecessary vertical scars.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Small breast

You are a good candidate for a reduction.You can go to a B or A cup if you want.Many women prefer smaller than larger because of all the weight.I do reductions as an outpatient.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Large Scale Breast Reduction Possible?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Yes, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

Breast reduction from DD to a B?

Without an exam , it is difficult to say what could be accomplished for you.  Going to a B from a DD may not give you a decent shape.

Large Scale Breast Reduction, DD to B--Possible?

From your description of your goals, it seems the reduction you want should easily be possible. Find an experienced and board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and consultation and he can give you a better answer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD