Large, Obvious Nostrils and a Crooked Nose After Septorhinoplasty (6 Weeks Post-op). What To Do? (photo)

Hi, I had surgery for my breathing (much better now) and a crooked nose. The plastic surgeon said the only way to straighten the external deviation would be to remove the bump (which I was hesitant to do. He also told me that my nostril openings were too slit-like (I never noticed) and that he would make them rounder. Now my nose is more crooked, too high, and the nostrils are big & show too much. I can feel that my left nasal bone does not meet the bridge. Can/will any of these issues be fixed?

Early asymmetry after rhinoplasty

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear. Additionally, the tip may descend causing the tip to rotate downwards (depending on what was done during surgery). It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Minor tip and alar rim asymmetries can be related to swelling and will continue to change as swelling resolves and scar tissue matures. You are still very swollen, especially in the tip area.

It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon. However, it is important to remember that rhinoplasty is about obtaining improvement not perfection.

Crooked Nose 6 Weeks after Septorhinoplasty

If you ultimately have issues with your result following a septorhinoplasty, wait another 9-10 months before considering a revision.

Thanks for posting photos. Still early in healing stage. But I see your deviation, most likely you will need revision surgery after 9 months, sorry. 

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty.

You should see your surgeon and ask him what he thinks since the surgery was performed by him and he knows what he did.

Round nostrils after rhinoplasty

I see the issues that bother you after your rhinoplasty. If these concern you enough to go through another operation, then you should go ahead. The nasal deviation most likely can be improved ( the result may not be perfectly stright, but there should be an improvement) as well as the arching of the nostrils.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon