Do I need large volume lipo? (photos)

I have consulted 2 Plastic Surgeons so far to get fat off of my abdomen with liposuction. I figured I can live with loose skin that may be left from lipo. One of the doctors said that I would need large volume lipo (about 6000 cc or 10-12 lbs fat reduction) while another doctor said that I would not need a large volume lipo. How do I determine if I need a large volume lipo or regular lipo. Please help!

TT vs LIpo

Thank you for the pictures.

I believe that you make a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction to the waist, upper and lower back and fat grafting in to buttocks.

Dr. Campos

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Do I need large volume lipo?

I liposuction 5 liters on a routine basis.  I can tell you that 5 liters of fat is a huge amount of fat.  Most plastic surgeons may liposuction 5 liters but they will include all of the fluid in this amount as well.  So you may only get 1 to 2 liters of fat removed.

Select a board certified plastic surgeon performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Large Volume Liposuction

Your question about large volume liposuction is a good one, and it illustrates how different surgeons can have different approaches for a specific patient.  The amount of fat that will be suctioned is not as important in my opinion as the surgeon working with you to get the results that you want.  If your surgeon feels that more than 5 L of lipoaspirate will be removed, often (but not always) the recommendation is to perform this as 2 smaller procedures to reduce postop risk of potential complications.  Others may recommend a tummy tuck as well to help not only control the skin but also to improve any abdominal wall laxity that you may have.  In the end, the best option I think is to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and perhaps more than one just to get some different options so you can make the best choice possible.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Based on your photos, in order to achieve best results-- the tightest abdomen-- you would benefit from a Tummy Tuck along with hip and flank lipo--Make sure to schedule an appointment with  an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon  for further evaluation. Liposuction alone is not going to produce good results. In my opinion -your best value is Tummy Tuck with liposuction.

You do NOT need large volume liposuction

Thank you for your question and photos. You are no where near needing large volume liposuction.  Put three 2 liter pop bottles next to your stomach and imagine removing that much fat.  You might fill up one!. You have loose skin and you will have more with liposuction alone. Some of your abdominal bulge may be loose muscles which would be tightened with a tummy tuck but not liposuction. I would stay away from the surgeon who thinks that you need large volume lipo!   
Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You do not look like a patient requiring a large volume of liposuction

Without a proper examination it is difficult to say what the right answer is, but to me, based on your pictures, you are a person who's main problem is lax abdominal muscles, not fat.  I don't see a lot of fat that needs to be liposuctioned, rather a tummy tuck with rectus muscle tightening will give you a flat belly and nicer contour.  You stated that you don't mind having the loose skin after, so perhaps a tummy tuck was discussed with you already.  I bet if you pinch your stomach skin you will be pinching maybe 1-1.5 inches.  That would mean liposuction will do very little for you.  I suggest talking to other plastic surgeon (who did not think you need large volume lipo) and re-discussing the option of a tummy tuck

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Stomach Lipo?

I would reccomend abdomen and flank liposuction combined with a full tummy tuck for best results. You will likely be unsatisfied with liposuction alone. The excess skin removal and muscle wall tightening will make a huge improvement in your waistline contouring. I attached a photo of a patient with a similar body type as an example of the results that are achievable.

Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD

Wrong procedure

While it is impossible to say without an in person exam, liposuction is likely the wrong procedure based on the photos you submitted.  I would suggest that an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) would address your already loose skin and muscle separation.   Liposuction is going to do very little to change the overall appearance of your belly.  I would definitely suggest seeking more consultations in person from board certified plastic surgeons.  Make sure the opinions you are getting are not just from "cosmetic surgeons" who do not offer abdominoplasty.  If you only offer lipo that might be what you offer....  You are asking questions and doing research which is the important thing!  

Large Volume Liposuction

Large volume liposuction is a term used to describe the volume of fat aspirate is removed and, most typically, refers to any amount greater than 5 liters. Just based on your pictures it does not appear that much would need to be removed from your abdomen. Thus you do not need high volume liposuction of our abdominal and waistline areas. 

Do I need large volume lipo?

Liosuction alone will give you a very unsatifactory appearance to your abdome while a full abdominoplasty will get the job done. No one is going to get 6000 cc of fat off your body.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD