Will having sex with a large penis stretch my vagina after having vaginoplasty?

I had vaginoplasty about a year ago. At the time, I was married and my husband had an average size penis. Now, I'm single and involved with a man with a very thick penis. I'm wondering, if his large girthy penis will stretch my vagina out? I really love the results from my surgery but am concerned that my new guy will undo the tightness from my surgery. 1. Can a large thick penis stretch out your vagina after having vaginoplasty surgery?2. How long do the results of vaginoplasty last?3. Do patients ever need a tweak to tighten vagina again?

Yes, the vagina may stretch to some degree but there are ways to fine tune and further tighten the vagina without the need for surgery. We offer ThermiVa in my office which has been very effective. There is no down time, it is painless and requires no surgery or anesthesia.

Large penis will enlargen your vagina

Yes, of course your vagina will stretch to accommodate a larger size penis. This will happen even if you didn't have a vaginoplasty. In fact, I've performed vaginoplasty procedures on women who have loosened over time from sexual activity and have never had vaginal deliveries.

I recommend you enjoy your new vagina as well as your current partner's size. You should continue do regular kegels to maintain a strong pelvic floor. How long vaginoplasty results last depends on extent of sexual activity and size of your partners. If you were to notice looseness in the future then you may have non-surgical laser vaginal tightening with FemiLift. This will not only maintain your results but enhance yours and his pleasure. 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Will having sex with a large penis after vaginoplasty affect my results?

Dear Unicornstarfish,

Thank you for writing in with your questions and concerns.  Yes, large objects going in or out of your vagina can stretch it, whether it be a baby or a large penis.  So the vaginal rejuvenation surgery results will only last as long as you do things to preserve them, like not gaining excessive weight, avoiding anal intercourse and not putting large objects in your vagina or having another baby. The vagina is an elastic tube so it can stretch to accommodate to what goes into it, but it won't go back to its original tightness in most women.

There is a new non-surgical no downtime in-office radiofrequency treatment for women that tightens the vagina by using heat.    It can improve orgasm intensity, sensation and lubrication, as well as reduce leaky bladder symptoms due to stress incontinence or over-active bladder.  You may want to consider this to "tweak" your results.  It is called ThermiVa and you can read more about it at the link below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

How long does a vaginoplasty last and will a "hunka penis" re-stretch me??

Hello "Unicornstarfish (wow- very Santa Monica...),

Yours is a very cogent question that I have been asked previously. As any woman who has had childbirths will tell you, and as you probably know firsthand-- yes, vaginas can stretch, and usually return to (near) previous shape, but not necessarily totally, and sometimes not at all.. So, yes, enjoying a larger object inserted into your vagina, whether penis or toy, may stretch your repair...

What to do?? Dr. True and I agree. Most importantly is to work with a pelvic floor physical therapist (or your surgeon or PCP if that person is savvy in pelvic floor PT and can recommend an APEX device, a biofeedback device, vaginal cones or spheres, etc.) "Backing" your repair with strong muscles will minimize breakdown of your repair, but some stretching may still occur.  In that case, either ThermiVa (RF) or Femi/Lift (laser) treatments will modestly tighten the vaginal skin, but if significant stretching occurs you may still need a modest re-repair.

A properly performed repair + ongoing pelvic floor exercises + good nutrition and appropriate vaginal estrogen therapy after menopause should make the repair last indefinitely. Significant re-stretching (childbirth or to a lesser extent a very robust penis or toy,) low estrogen levels and lack of ONGOING pelvic floor exercises will limit effectiveness over time.

Speaking of "large penises, the weblink below may be of interest...

Michael P Goodman MD
Davis, CA

Somewhat

Any kind of vaginal dilation, whether it be with a dilator/dildo or with an actual penis, will tend to dilate the opening of the vagina somewhat.  As long as the vaginoplasty is well healed, it shouldn't actually damage the repair.   If you are unhappy with the results it could be tightened further with surgical or non-surgical means, though it is unlikely to stay that way if it is being stretched on a regular basis.

What happens if you have sex with a large penis after your vaginoplasty?

The vagina will stretch to accommodate whatever you put inside - penis, baby or toy whether you have a vaginoplasty or not. However, the muscles which are repaired during vaginoplasty will not tear apart unless you have another vaginal delivery. If your large penis relationship ends and you start a small penis relationship in the future, you'll need to explore your options for additional tightening if you think it's warranted, but muscle exercises are more likely to be an effective option after vaginoplasty.

Results after vaginoplasty

An enlarged penile size over time can have an affect on vaginal tightness or relaxation. Your surgery should be a permanent repair, but if you needed something in the future done surgically that should not be an issue. Kegel exercises and pelvic floor physical therapy can help to strengthen the pelvic floor and reduce the risk of recurrent relaxation. There is more information about pelvic floor physical therapy at the link below. 

Enlarging your vagina

Yes, a large wide penis can stretch your vagina. The vagina can be stretched to accomodate whatever size desired, but you may end up with one that is too stretched. Best advice is to maintain the strength of the vaginal muscles by doing Kegels, graduated vaginal weights or Ben Wa Balls. You can definitely repeat the vaginal rejuvenation procedure too. But you may want to try ThermiVa radiofrequency tightening. This not only increases the collagen of the vagina, but may also enhance the sensitivity of the entire pelvic area so you enjoy sex even more. It's out-patient, doesn't hurt, and you can have sex that night. Regular treatments are needed for best results, but what is it worth to have great sex!

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Post-Op Vaginoplasty Questions & Answers

Thank you very much for your question. Yes, a large thick penis will stretch your vagina a bit after having a Vaginoplasty. However, your vaginal muscles, if repaired correctly during the procedure, will stay intact. Clearly you can help to maintain the tone of your vaginal muscles by doing pelvic floor exercises and kegels. A properly performed Vaginoplasty should provide results that last for the remainder of your life, as long as you have no more vaginal childbirths. Tweaks can be done to the Vaginoplasty to tighten it, depending on the amount of tightening that was done at the primary operation. A consultation with an in-person exam with a Board Certified plastic surgeon, specializing in Vaginoplasties, will be of value when discussing these issues.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD