Large burn-like mark after liposculpture?

I had liposculpture of my abdomen done under general anesthesia. Immediately after I noticed a fresh superfical red mark across my abdomen about 4 inches with small "dots" above and to one side. After asking the doctor, he mentioned that it could have been the seat belt on the way back home from surgery, 2hr drive. Is this possible? It began to darken, brown and 1 month later it scabed off but the mark is still there. Will it ever fully disappear? What can I do to improve the appearance?

Large burn like mark after lipo

What you describe seems to be that you had lipo with a heat device, call it laser, or vaser type.  That is a risk with those devices.  That is why I like to stay away from them, and use a more efficient and safer machine, called the Microaire, obtaining magnificent results.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Hyperpigmentation Of Abdomen One Year After Liposculpture - What Do I Do?

Your skin was obviously injured either during or after your liposculpture procedure.  In one way or another, the blood supply to your skin was embarrassed which led to a loss of blood supply to the epithelium in the affected area. 

You now have injury hyperpigmentation which I have found in the past to be well treated by a melasma cream which we invented at the Mommy Makeover Institute of Hawaii.  Unfortunately, without some form of intervention, this type of pigmentation rarely disappears. 

Burn after Liposculpture usually do to technology or superficial treatment

RNMommyx2,

It would be helpful to know what sort of liposculpture was performed.  Was laser technology or ultrasound used during treatment.  Those introduce energy and heat to tissues that can cause damage or a burn.  Additionally, occasionally superficial treatment with liposculpture (which I don't recommend) can cause unusual discoloration or healing.  Definitely check back with your doctor.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Burn

Your description sounds most like a burn induced from a laser utilized during the procedure.  However, if a laser was not used, it would be difficult to opine on the exact cause, pressure from something external - compression garment?  Allergic reaction to something?  At any rate, this scar most likely will get better over the course of a year.  Scar creams, silicone sheeting, bleaching, and laser may all be appropriate, but time will likely produce the best result.

Burn After Liposculpture

Seat belts don’t usually press on the abdomen too much so I’m not sure if that is the reason.  Could it be a burn?  Was a laser or ultrasound device used at the same time?  Whatever the cause, the mark will most likely slowly go away over the next several months.  If it is brown, a lightening /bleaching cream may help.  If it persists, it could probably be treated with a laser.  Check with your surgeon or a laser expert in your area.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon