Running on the treadmill and I slipped and fell while it was running. I'm worried about a rupture. It's saline from mentor.

Hi! I had breast augmentation on August 2, 2016. Today I was running on the treadmill and I slipped and fell while it was running. 

Implant trauma

Thank you for your post and sorry to hear about your fall. It is best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for an exam, but in the meantime observation is probably best. IF the implant has ruptured, the saline water in the implant will leak out and be absorbed by your body. You would notice a difference in the volume of the implant on the side with the trauma if it were ruptured and leaking. All the best.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Trauma after breast augmentation surgery…

I am sorry to hear about the fall. Remember, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment and advcie. Generally speaking, unless you have noticed (or notice over the course of next few days) a change in your physical examination, it is unlikely that any harm was done.  Remember, that saline breast implants will deflate (with obvious clinical changes) if they have been damaged. Best wishes.

Saline implant damage

If the saline implant was damaged in your fall, it will deflate... so keep an eye on it for the next 5-7 days.  If it starts to disappear, you'll know - then contact your surgeon.  However, most implants are pretty durable, especially when they are newer - so the odds that it is OK are in your favor.

Saline implant trauma

Sorry you had a fall.  If you have damaged your saline implant you will know within 48 hours as it will deflate.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon for an exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Chest Trauma worried about Saline rupture

Sorry to hear about your very scary fall and I understand why you are worried.  If your Saline implant ruptured you would notice a loss of volume usually within 24-48 hours.  If you notice any change in the volume of your breasts, you should schedule an appointment with your Plastic Surgeon for an examination. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon