Does this incision look normal? Will it flatten out? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation exactly two weeks ago. I went from an a cup to a d cup 600 cc's. They took off the strips and stitches today and I'm totally depressed and scared that this incision just doesn't look right. They told me to massage it and to put silicone strips. Is this normal for it to be so raised and weird looking. I'm soo stressed out on how they look.

Breast Augmenation Scar

Hi yessenia,

Thanks for your question and photos. It seems that your plastic surgeon got the deep tissue or fascia when closing your incision. It usually relaxes. Give it time. massage is useful in relaxing the scar. The best person for advice would be your surgeon. Silicone strips or get help. If it remains after 3-4 months you may likely need a revision but your surgeon would know best. Follow their recommendations.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS,
@docmata @breastaugmentation @breastrevision
@breastscar

Does this incision look normal? Will it flatten out?

You are early after surgery and the incision should flatten with time. Massage of trhe fold is very important and should really help. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon.

Too early to tell

It is too early to tell since it is only two weeks from surgery; the best thing to do is to wait at least 6 months so that the scar has had enough time to heal.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Incisions improve with time

Tincture of time is on your side. Silicone strips or Silagen will help flatten your scars. The dissolvable sutures will dissolve in 3 months and the indent will be gone. massage will help. Good luck

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

BA-Does this incision look normal? Will it flatten out?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend you to follow instructions from your PS. Your scar will flatten with time.

Early result

Thanks for your inquiry, you are very early in the post-operative course and should direct your questions to your plastic surgeon.  There are many strategies with scar management and each surgeon has their own protocols to get the best result.  Good Luck.  

Patients with questions and concerns about their breast augmentation  healing process should address those concerns with the plastic surgeon that performed the operation.

John Mesa, MD

Give it time...

The edges of the wound are well approximated and it appears to be healing normally. It looks like the scar should heal normally.  There may be a small puckered area that could lead to some distortion.  It is most likely, that with time the area will flatten and this will look normal.  If this doesn't happen, it should be an easy fix for your plastic surgeon.  As long as you are not having other issues with the implants and your breast look great, I wouldn't worry to much about the way this scar looks at this point.  It might take a few months for the scar to settle significantly. If you need more reassurance, contact your plastic surgeon.

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Early wound healing

Thank you for your question and photo.  Your scar will go through a few phases of healing before achieving the ultimate final appearance (around 10-12 months).  It is not unusual for the scar to be elevated and red during the early phases.  You should see significant change with time, massage, and silicone strips/gel.  Best to check with your surgeon for specifics and follow up with them to make sure your concerns are addressed.

Normal?

Post surgical scars do not always look like that but you are just having an eversion of your tissues from the deep sutures.  This will dissolve over time and your scar will flatten.
Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS