What's the correct weight for a Tummy tuck? Am I ready for one ? (photos)

I have lost around 118lbs currently my weight is 177lbs. I'm really interested on having a tummy tuck but I'm not sure if it's time already! Please help

Healthy Weight and Tummy Tucks

Congratulations on your weight loss. Tummy tucks can assist in the improvement of your mid-section and I recommend to my patients to be at their goal weight that is maintainable before surgery. If you feel that you are not at this point, you may want to discuss your options with your primary care physician before seeking plastic surgery. With dedication and a healthy lifestyle regimen, your goals may be more attainable and you will appreciate your results more.

Best weight is a stable weight

Congratulations on your significant  weight loss!  The question of when to have a tummy tuck is not a certain weight, but at what weight you can keep stable.  If you are still hoping to lose more weight, it is not time for the procedure. I suggest that my patients get to a weight they are comfortable, and then stabilize that weight for at least 3 months. I wish you all the best.
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Best Weight For Tummy Tuck

From the photo you have a "frown" shaped fold of skin on the upper abdomen...usually this is a sign of significant weight loss along with the fine wrinkles also seen in the photo.  Your best weight is not a number...it is a stable weight that you can actually maintain long term, and that is determined by your lifestyle, diet, and exercise program.

Seek a plastic surgeon experienced in weight loss patients, and feel free to request a  free copy of my book which we can mail to you.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck / Mini Tummy Tuck /Abdominoplasty/ Liposuction/ Reverse Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Hello and thank you for your question. It is difficult to evaluate based on this photograph.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What's the correct weight for a Tummy tuck? = normal BMI #tummytuck #tt #normalweight #drmesa #realself100

In order to achieve the best result possible after a tummy tuck, a patient should achieve a weight that is within normal range for her/his height. This weight to height relationship is called BMI (body mass index). The reason is that the closer the weight to have a normal BMI, the less visceral fat ( fat around the bowel) which ultimately allows the surgeon and the body to achieve the best result after a BMI.

BMI can be calculated over the internet follow the link bellow:

These are the ranges for BMI:

BMI Categories:
Underweight =

John Mesa, MD

Tummy Tuck after weight loss

You certainly have put a lot of hard work into your weight loss.  Now is the time to reward yourself.  I would suggest you get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are ready yet.  A personal evaluation would be required to determine if you are at a point where you will benefit most from this surgery.

Michael Leff, MD (retired)
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

What's the correct weight for a Tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and picture. Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment.  

Generally speaking, always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.

Also generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and (again) has reached a long-term stable weight.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

What's the correct weight for a Tummy tuck? Am I ready for one ?

Thank you for your question.  If you can get your body mass index (BMI) down near 30 or below, you would be a better candidate for the surgery.  This is to reduce the risks for complications with anesthesia, wound healing, blood clots (deep vein thrombosis) and a poor aesthetic result.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

There is no magic number as far as the correct weight for a tummy tuck, however, I recommend that your weight be stable for about 6 months prior to the tummy tuck. And your weight should be as low as you plan on going. You do not want to lose a significant amount of weight after a tummy tuck as you may get recurrent loose skin.

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon