I want my eyelids fixed; should I see an ophthalmologist? (Photo)

I have lower eyelid issues due to constant pulling of the eyelid (contact lenses) and I want it fixed. However, I don't know who to see about this. I want to see an opthamologist but I don't know if he'll understand my worries or if he'll even refer me to an oculofacial plastic surgeon. Is this a safe move? And while I wait how can i cope with my appearence? And are lower lid procedures simple and reliable?

Doctor Answers 7

Lower eyelids issues

It is not apparent from the photos what condition you are describing.  Start with an ophthalmologic evaluation first. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Eyelid issues

Oculoplastic surgeons are most experienced and skilled with eyelid anatomy and surgery. I would recommend an evaluation in person with an Oculoplastic subspecialist to address your concerns. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews


Thank you for your question. Blepharoplasty (or eyelid surgery) procedures are minimally invasive and offer the patient the comfort of a smooth recovery time with little discomfort. The procedure can address uneven eyelids. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person examination that will illuminate the type of treatment they can provide. 
Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 121 reviews

From this photo it appears that you have an even eyebrows not eyelids.

Your right eyebrow is lower than the left eyebrow. This is what I can appropriate from the photo you have provided. your lower eyelids are not completely seen in the photo; therefore, it is very hard to comment on something that is not completely seen. your upper eyelids seem to be symmetrical and the only changes seen is due to slight ptosis of right eyebrow. 

Soheila Rostami, MD, FAAO, FABCS
McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Want eyelids fixed

I don't think it makes sense to see an ophthalmologist for an eyelid evaluation. You specifically need an oculoplastic surgeon to do a thorough examination.  If you are a candidate for surgery, these type of surgeries are performed on a regular basis with minimal associated risks. Good luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews


You have ptosis of the right upper eyelid.  This can  be corrected with a surgery.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.  I see nothing wrong with your lower lids.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

" Pulling down" of the lower eyelid

Thank you for sharing your question. It is hard to determine the problem from the photograph, but it sounds like you have ectropion. This is a problem that Oculoplastic Surgeons frequently manage. In the hands of an experienced surgeon, you are likely to have a good result. I hope this helps.  Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.