Uneven nostrils 5 months post op? (Photos)

I am 5 months post op and I concerned about my nostrils. They are very uneven and the tip is still rock hard. Is there any chance at all that this will improve on its own with time? The first photo is ny pre op nose.....the photos after are all at 5 months.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

You are still quite early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tip swelling post op rhinoplasty

You tip is greatly improved from the preop photo. So nice job. Allow more time for the tip swelling to subside. Up to one year.

Sometimes a shot of kenalog my improve the situation.

Nostrils uneven

The nose tip takes on average a year for the swelling to resolve. During that time your nose is continuing to settle and the shape will change slightly.

Looking at your before and afters your nose is straight, the tip is more defined (even with the swelling) and your nostrils while not exactly symmetrical are acceptable aesthetically. Overall I think it's a very solid result. There is no such thing as perfect and we all have differences in our bodies. If your still upset with your result it would be helpful to look at the nostril view photo before and after surgery. I would bet that you had a pre existing assymetry before surgery as well that was improved. Keep in mind that the skin has memory and it's not always possible to completely correct slight differences.

David Shifrin, MD

Rhinoplasty at 5 months

It would be beneficial to look at your preop photos as well.  Everyone has asymmetric nostrils. Your nose is hard probably because of residual swelling. This can take a year or longer to settle.