What is given for pain post op and do you take vit C for healing?

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #consultation

Hi pat, Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. Each surgical procedure has it's own set of post operative instructions. Your surgeon's preference and your health history play a role in what goes into your post operative instructions.  Final results can take up to 12 months for all the swelling to subside. Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain relief post op

In my own practice I use  the narcotic oxycodone. Oxycodone is the active ingredient in Percocet, but Percocet has Tylenol built in. I have my patients take Tylenol as directed independently. By doing this I can adjust the dose of narcotic and still avoid giving too much Tylenol.

Vitamin c is fine,  if you take too much it just comes out in the urine anyway. I am a big fan of a simple one a day vitamin which will do more than enough.

Check in with your own PS. each surgeon will have their own specific regimen they are comfortable with.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck post op medications

I offer to my Tummy Tuck patients several prescription medications and recommend a few over the counter items.  For pain management, I prescribe a pain pill, a muscle relaxer medication and insert a pain pump to help my patients recover comfortably.  The over the counter items are Vitamin C, Zinc, and Arnica which can help with healing, swelling and bruising.  You should check with your Plastic Surgeon to see what his/her recommendations are for you. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post operative protocol

This really differs per practice seeing as every surgeon has a slightly different post operative protocol. I will generally have my patients take a pain reliever such as Percocet for the first few days when pain is at its worst then have them switch to a non-narcotic pain reliever such as ibruprofen. Vitamin C can aid in recovery and reduce inflammation so it is beneficial to take that daily. This is what I generally recommend for my patients pre and post operatively for daily good health: Vitamin C with rose hips 1000mg 3xdaily,  Zinc 50mg daily, L-Arginine 1000mg daily, Probiotic daily (recommend probiotic America obtained off the internet), Organic apple cider vinegar (2teasoons in 8oz glass 3x 1day), High protein diet (es. Chicken, fish, lentils, quinoa, brown rice), and Alkalinize your body (es. Dark leafy vegetables, fruits, etc). I hope this helps. Best of luck. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Pain pills post-op

I think that most surgeons will give some form of opiate for post-op pain.  I usually recommend Vitamin C or a Multivitamin daily before and after surgery to promote healing.

Ask about a TAP block to minimize post-op pain

We've been using the TAP block, which is a nerve block that numbs the lower abdomen nicely, to help our patients during the recovery period.  With Exparel, it lasts 2-3 days, and gets you past the worst time period.  It's been a huge breakthrough, and works better than a pain pump, in my experience.

Post op pain

Most doctors prescribe a post-operative tylenol/narcotic combination for pain.  You could also add an NSAID like ibuprofen.  Vit. C has been shown to be anti-inflammatory and can also be taken post operatively.  

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon