Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

Hello, Im a male,25 year of age.I used to be quite skinny and over the last 3-4 years i have put on a few.Up until the middle of year 2014 i didnt have puffy nipples like this. Somehow it is more visibly clear and im very uncomfortable with my situation right now.Worst part is,the left side seems more puffier than the right side. My question is,do i have gynecomastia,or will this just go away after a while.Also are there any better/faster ways to get rid of this problem. Thank you for your time.

Puffy Nipple Areola Complex is a Very Common Form of Gynecomastia

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.
As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition.
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the photos.  It appear that you do have gynecomastia. Have you started taking any new medications? Steroids? 

Tim Neavin, MD

Do I Have Gynecomastia?

Hi cheney026, Thanks for the post and the photos. Based on your post, it appears that you have noticed increased puffiness under your nipples only when you gained weight. Eventhough in your photos it appears that you have gynecomastia, only an in-person examination and history will determine whether that diagnosis is right. The reason why this distinction is important is because if your chest only became this way after you gained weight, then likely if you lose the weight the chest should improve. If, however, you have excess breast tissue then weight loss will not correct this and you would require surgery. I would seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. Hope that helps, Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Do I have gynecomastia?

It you look into the mirror each day and feel unhappy about the shape of your nipples and chest, the most common anomaly might be a gynaecomastia. Just that feeling from youand simple physical examination by your physician can confirm it.
The only treatment is surgical- liposuction & gland excision
But the choice for getting it corrected is solely yours. The degree  severity does not determine if a surgery is needed or not!!!

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia can be caused by many reasons. Proper diagnosis is based on examination and proper workup if there is hormonal reasons.
Treatment in most of the time is excision of the gland and liposuction for proper contouring
No surgery in simple. All cosmetic surgery should be personalized to the specific anatomy and personal needs. finding the right surgeon is the most important decision

Gynecomastia

Based on the pictures you have shown and your history, there is a good chance you have mild to moderate gynecomastia.

An examination will confirm if this is firm glandular tissue or a fat distribution issue.

The condition is generally treated with liposuction with or without a small incision to remove firm glandular tissue.

The great majority of cases of gynecomastia have no known medical cause.

I suggest you make an in-person consultation with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon to confirm your diagnosis and see what treatment options are.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Do I have gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. I would suggest that you seek consultation with your primary care physician and/or  board-certified plastic surgeons. Physical examination will be key when it comes providing you with an accurate diagnosis. Based on your description, it is possible that you are dealing with gynecomastia. "Gynecomastia" comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males. Although there may be many “causes”, most cases are idiopathic (no specific cause). The use of certain medications, drugs, organ dysfunction (kidney or liver), hormonal imbalances etc. may also be causative.  Persistence gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue liposuction  surgery may suffice. If/when the time  comes for surgical intervention, please make sure that you seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.