Still swollen 3 weeks, 4 days post op. Normal?

Ok so I am 3 weeks and 5 days post op and I still have a lot of swelling below belly button and in crotch area. Has anyone else had this? At this point, I am really regretting my decision to have the tt done :( My doctor said "I'm a sweller" and just that my skin takes longer then some to go back to where it should be. He said I still have about 4lbs of swelling. Has anyone else had this?? Iim so tired of wearing sweatpants and leggins..

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

At this point 3 weeks post op, the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Swelling after TT

Yes the swelling in the lower abdomen after a tummy tuck can persist for quite some time.  Even at 4 weeks post operative the swelling can persist.  Don't be alarmed and try your best to be patient.  There is sometimes swelling that can last for months as the lymphatic drainage is remodeling.  Some patients can swell more that others.  Compression, ice packs, and the tincture of time.  Massage the swollen areas to help improve the drainage and edema.  Best wishes - this will eventually get better!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Long term swelling

As long as a persistent serum has been ruled out, diffuse swelling after tummy tuck can last many months. We have had good success in our office with acoustic sound wave called Z – wave in mitigating chronic swelling after both liposuction and tummy tuck's. Talk with your plastic surgeon about modalities such as this that may be helpful. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Swelling after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Swelling can persist for weeks after tummy tuck, although you should be seeing a steady improvement with each week that passes by.  I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that there is a not a fluid collection that is contributing to the swelling.

Probably normal

If retained fluid collection (seroma) has been ruled out, then it is probably normal.  It will take at least 6 months if not a full year before you can see your final results.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS