Lifting children after a Mommy Makeover?

Realistically, when can I lift my children? I'm 9 days PO from a MM. I have a 1 and almost 3 year old. The 1 year old weighs 22-22lbs.

Lifting Children After Mommy Makeover

Thank you very much for your question and congratulations on your recent Mommy Makeover. Heavy lifting should be avoided for four to six weeks following a Mommy Makeover. Unfortunately, this includes small children. I would recommend that you plan on having added assistance from a family member or friend during your recovery period. If you still have questions or concerns, contact your operating surgeon for additional advice on your Mommy Makeover recovery.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Lifting Children After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Lifting after Mommy Makeover

This question is best answered by your surgeon, but in general it is best to limit lifting to 10 pounds for 4-6 weeks after surgery.  You can still cuddle with your children and lay with them, but lifting is not recommended.  Check with your surgeon for more specific advice, as he/she is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Drderby

Thank you for your question. i would recommend you to wait at least 5-6 weeks before lifting weight, including little children. But talk it over with your surgeon first. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy make-over - when to life my children

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• The best person to advise you is your own plastic surgeon -
  • S/he knows how you are healing.
  • Generally we don't want any lifting for at least 4 weeks, and waiting 6 weeks if it lifting is painful earlier.
  • You can hold your children in your lap but bending over to pick them out of a crib or off the floor will be painful and risks pulling the sutures.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Lifting Children After Tummy Tuck

Definitely discuss this with your plastic surgeon. During your consultation and preop, this would've been an important aspect to discuss with a patient that has young children who still need to be picked up and carried. In my practice, I advise no heavy lifting or straining for 6 weeks. This includes lifting/picking up young children. Heavy lifting while your deep stitches heal is nothing heavier than a gallon of milk. You can still hug and love on your children if you have someone carry them to and from you while you're seated or if they can climb onto the couch to you while you're seated. Happy healing!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent mommy makeover surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a tummy tuck.   I do not allow my patients to lift anything over 10 pounds until 4 weeks post-op.  It is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck with your recovery.

Postop restrictions for tummy tuck

It is best that you ask your surgeon regarding postop restrictions. Generally patients are told to avoid heavy lifting (>10 lbs) or exercise for 4-6 weeks postop.

Mark Deutsch, MD