At my 4 wk post-op apt (mommy makeover) I was told not to lift my children for 2 months. Can I lift my little one (20-23lbs)?

When I asked if I could lift my children now, my Ps said I'm not supposed to for 2 months. I was told at the pre op appointment I could at 2-3 weeks. My husband is ready to lose his mind. Is there a way I can at least help and lift the little one? He's about 20-23 lbs.

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Caring for Others

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Exertion after MM

Hello!

There is no "black and white" with regard to lifting restrictions after surgery. Your plastic surgeon would know best what she/he encountered as far as your abdominal muscle laxity during surgery and how your healing is going after surgery. I can imagine it would be frustrating to be told something and plan on that, and then be told more stringent instructions after the fact. It's best to get your advice from your surgeon.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Heavy Lifting after Mommy Makeover

Laurzie.   I appreciate your predicament. I usually recommend no heavy lifting after Mommy Makeover for 4-6 weeks, but sometimes alter that time span to coincide with individual's healing and circumstances. Ask your surgeon to examine your healing progress and hopefully free you to lift the little one. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Lifting After Tummy Tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I tell my patients that they must wear a binder and cannot lift anything over ten pounds for six weeks. If you lift heavy things shortly after surgey you may be at risk of breaking the stitches that tighten abdominal muscles. It is best to follow your doctors recommendations.   A discussion with your plastic surgeon about your post operative instructions would be a benefit to you. Best of luck with your recovery. 

Kenneth A. Godwin, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Nothing heavier than 5 pounds

I would check with your surgeon but I do not recommend lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds for 6 weeks.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD