What are these raised and depressed areas around my mouth? (Photos)

Please see photos attached. There are raised lumps on either side at the corners above my mouth. What can I do to correct this?

NL lines

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos.I believe what you are seeing is a shadowing effect from your nasolabial lines (i.e., "smile lines"). These lines could be softened with a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm. I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Bumps around the mouth

Hi Mamtha1986, 

Thank you for submitting your question and photos. The shadows that you see around the mouth is skin and underlying fat and muscle that appears around the mouth as people get older. The animation from the mouth, the loss of elasticity and some descent of tissues due to gravity all contribute to what you're seeing. The pictures are helpful but the lighting can be tricky so an in-person evaluation is key to assessing the best treatment. Common treatments usually include fillers to the various areas of the face to restore support and camuoflage the shadows. Surgical procedures can be helpful if other areas need to be addressed. I would recommend a visit your local cosmetic surgeon with expertise in facial cosmetic surgery to get an opinion.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon