I have brown spots, redness, acne and wrinkles. I would like a chemical peel, am I a candidate? (photo)

Chemical peel

You may wish to cosider a Beta-salicylic acid peel and topical creams to start.

Pelleve can be used to help with wrinlles and some tightening of the skin as well.

What is a Chemical Peel

The chemical peel is a procedure where a chemical solution is applied to the skin that makes the top layers of skin “blister” and peel away, revealing newer skin underneath. You are a good candidate for a chemical peel, however you may need a combination of treatments such as laser and peels to achieve the correction you desire. There are hundreds of different kinds of chemical peels. They range from light peels that will simply give the skin a nice glow to deep peels that can cause the skin to peel and slough off for 1-2 weeks.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Chemical Peel: Friend or Foe?

You appear to be a great candidate, but as others have said it would be best to have a consult with a medical esthetician, cosmetic nurse, or a cosmetic dermatologist. As I tell my patients, "it takes a village". There is no one treatment to correct damage to the skin from the sun, hormones, diet, and lifestyle all while to slowing the aging process and preventing breakouts. Consistent and quality home care, regular facials, chemical peels, laser treatments and sometimes prescription topical cremes such as tretinoin/retinoids are all necessary for healthy, youthful, skin. I would start with getting some basic facials or a consultation with a trained professional at a medical facility (emphasizing trained and a medical facility) so that you can get started on an effective home regime. This will help to prep your skin for chemical peels and laser treatments. I do not know your skin well enough to determine what the best products are for you but most everyone should be using a tretinoin/retinoid creme at least 2x per week in the evening as well as an SPF with zinc during the day. Taking care of your skin at home will help to enhance and prolong the results of professional treatments. 

There are hundreds of different kinds of chemical peels. They range from light peels that will simply give the skin a nice glow to deep peels that can cause the skin to peel and slough off for 1-2 weeks. By speaking with a skin care professional, together you may determine the best treatments specifically for you, your skin, your goals, and your lifestyle. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Options for Anti Aging

Thank you for your question. You are a good candidate for a chemical peel, however you may need a combination of treatments such as laser and peels to achieve the correction you desire. Consult with a liscenced provider to discuss your best treatment options.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Acne, brown spots, wrinkles

It would be best for you to consult a cosmetic dermatologist who can assess your skin and create a treatment plan for you.  You may require a combination of treatments to give the best results.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Tretinoin

Have you considered other longer term slower treatments such as tretinoin 0.05% gel or cream used three times a week which helps get rid of the brown spots (melasmas) and also improves skin quality over time by helping the collagen regenerate? IPeople with acne often have had or have considered an oral treatment;  for mild acne, lymecycline is a weak oral treatment which can also improve the skin quality when taken over several months, taken as one tablet a day for 8 to 12 months. Both tretinoin and lymecycline are prescription only drugs so you have to be assessed by a physician / surgeon to see if this is a suitable treatment. It is important to use an SPF factor 50 sun protection when using tretinoin and lymecycline as the skin is more sensitive to sun.
In answer to your question about a peel; there are many peels, some light and less effective, some deeper and more effective but with more risk of side effects. Hence many people would try a medical treatment first such as treating the melasmas and redness with tretinoin and lymecycline over time.

Jane Olver, MBBS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon