In what cases will insurance cover vaginoplasty?

In what cases will insurance cover vaginoplasty? I know they usually don't cover it because it's considered cosmetic. Ever since I had my son 11 years ago sex has never been the same, I had to have an episiotomy done, and I feel like when they should have stitched me from back to front instead of front to back, they pull so much skin back that I have extra skin in between my vagina and anus. I don't know what to do sex for me isn't exciting at all and it's very depressing.

Doctor Answers 5

Labia repair coverage

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately Labiaplasty is not covered by insurance, even if you are having the symptoms you are having and it was caused by childbirth, insurance companies will not pay for it. Be very careful in choosing your surgeon as well given that this was caused by childbirth, your repair should be completed by a Board Certified Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgeon that has an expertise in Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery as well. We see too many botched repairs out there, so please choose carefully. 

Dr Robert D Moore, FACOG, FPMRS, FACS

Urogynecology / Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - DUBAI 

Atlanta Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

When does insurance cover a vaginoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I am sorry you are having problems.  Its frustrating to have changes to your body from having children and not having an easy solution.  Motherhood is difficult enough without having your sex life messed up too. 

Whether you can have insurance cover your surgery depends upon the anatomical changes that will be evident on your examination.  The complaints a patient  has are called "symptoms."  How the symptoms correlate the signs found on physical examination determine what operation is required.   If your problem stems from a vaginal herniation - such as a rectocele or cystocele or enterocele  - then this is covered by insurance. 

I would see a specialist in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery rather than an Ob/GYN if this is possible.  Many OB/GYN are excellent surgeons but this can be hit or miss. Research your doctor and don't  be afraid to get second opinions.

Good luck.

Vaginoplasty for sex enhancement isn't covered by insurance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Viagra for men to enhance sex - covered by insurance. Vaginoplasty for women to enhance sex - not covered. Go figure. It's unfair, but it's reality. Your condition can certainly be improved by vaginoplasty. Most surgeons offer payment plans and finance options.

All you ever wanted to know about Perineoplasty and Vaginoplasty, who is best to do the operation, and the deal with insurance..

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
"Insurance" will ONLY cover repair of symptomatic vagina herniations, such as cystocoele (where ithe bladder has "fallen" and produced discomfort and/or urinary incontinence), rectocoele (where the rectum bulges into the vagina and causes difficulty in passing stool), and "enterocoele," where the top of the vagina has "fallen," bringing the uterus down with it. All gynecologists and urogynecologists are trained (more or less) in these operations, which can repair bladder prolapse ("anterior colporrhaphy" or "anterior repair"). rectal herniation ("posterior colporrhaphy" or "posterior repair"), and vaginal /uterine herniation ("enterocoele repair," oft-times performed concomitantly with hysterectomy.

Insurance will pay for these operations (less any co-pay your insurer makes you pay, which is often significant...) HOWEVER... none of these procedures (some of which are automatically included in an elective sexual, plastic repair) are the aesthetic repair of the opening, the aesthetic removal of all that piled-up tissue at the opening, the reconstructive, sexually-enhancing elevation of the perineum, bringing the muscles together and narrowing the vagina to give you more friction and "push" your lover's penis up against the G-spot and clitoris type surgery that you are talking about. AND... most gynecologists and urogynecologists ARE NOT TRAINED to do the type of work that you  wish & need.

This type of work unfortunately (although both you & I know it is of utmost importance and help) is considered "cosmetic" and "elective" (YES-- good sex is considered elective by your insurance company.) If you want the "real thing" aesthetically and sexual- functionally, you will need to shell out the $$ necessary to have one of only a small number of gynecologists and urogynecologists who are SPECIFICALLY TRAINED to do these aesthetic and sexually enhancing procedures. The procedures that will accomplish what you desire are collectively called ""Perineoplasty and Vaginoplasty" and automatically also include a "site-specific repair," aka "posterior repair..."

Please don't hesitate to navigate the website linked below-- lots of info under "Genital Cosmetic Procedures," the FAQ's" and the "Blogs" to answer your queries about vaginal tightening. Also check out the research papers that relate to these issues.

Best wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA USA

In what cases will insurance cover vaginoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question.  In cases where vaginoplasty is performed due to lack of sexual satisfaction insurance companies will deem it "not medically necessary" and will not cover the costs.  It sounds as if a perineoplasty may be your breast treatment option to help repair the episiotomy you had with your son.  The types of reconstructive surgery that may be covered by your insurance company would include issues such as bladder, rectal or uterine prolapse and/or urinary incontinence.  Hope this helps. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.