Is it appropriate for me to get a Breast Reduction?

I'm 18 5'4 and 125 lbs. my breast size had been 34d since middle school and these things feel like weights to me! I'm fortunate mine are DD like my sister and mother but they are still a lot for me to hold, especially since I'm trying to lose some weight and my boobs don't seem to budge. My ideal size is a B but I don't know if I'm "busty" enough.

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

Kind regards

Breast reduction

If you desire smaller breasts, then you need to be seen in person to determine what might be appropriate for you. Good luck.

Breast reduction

You may be a good candidate for breast reduction.  Many insurance companies restrict the operation to women over age 19 in the belief that full maturity has not been reached.  The first step would be to check the insurance rules, which are typically available online.  You will be able to review the types of conservative medical management and documentation requirements that the carrier imposes.  You can certainly work on fulfilling those requirements now such that, as soon as you turn 19, you will be eligible.  Good luck!

Breast reduction: Is it appropriate for me?

An in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon can assist you in determining if your goals can be accomplished. You should be certain that you are done growing, and it sounds like you might be. You should also know that your surgical results could change in the future with pregnancy and/or significant weight change (10% of your current body weight or more). Hope this helps and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Of course, definitive assessment and advice would require in person evaluation.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

If/when the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question. Breast reduction surgery is appropriate for anyone (man or woman) whose breast are large and causing problems. The main concerns are routinely upper back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, pain and discomfort from bra straps cutting into your shoulders, headaches, and difficulties with activities of daily living. You do not have to any certain age or any certain size to be a good candidate for reduction. Most insurance carrier cover reduction surgery, but the carrier has certain requirements such as your height and weight as well as the amount of tissue to be removed. Please be sure to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast surgery. Good luck!!

Eric E. Wegener, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon