Why did my implants bottom out? (Photo)

I had breast augmentation last year. Both my implanys bottomed out before habing them for a year. At first my implants were sitting too high. My surgeon advised mw to not wear a bra to allow them to settlw. I was in a car accident about six months before thwy bottomed out. My neck curvature is curved in towards my chest more causing me to lean forward. Could this have caused both my implants to bottom out.

Breast implants

I'm sorry to hear about your post operative complication. Good news is that this can be fixed.  Your surgeon would go in and repair the pocket.  The recovery is much less than your primary breast augmentation.  Be sure to choose a surgeon board certified plastic surgeon with a large photo gallery and who specializes in breast revision.

Bottoming out

Bottoming out of implants can be related to several things including weakening of the inframammary fold tissue over time.

Implants bottoming out.

Thanks for your question. I 'm sorry to hear of your concerns. Implants can bottom out for many reasons and even sometimes trauma. Your PS will get a better sense base upon your examination.  Capsulorraphy is a technique to  internally tighten the breast implant pocket. It is sometimes done just with sutures and sometimes other supportive tissues are added. It is hard to guide you without a photo, but see a board certified PS in your area for a full evaluation.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Why did my implants bottom out?

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced.  Online consultants will not be your best resource when it comes to helping you determine specific causation of the breast implant displacement problem.  Generally speaking, breast implant displacement can occur despite the procedure being performed correctly.   On the other hand, over dissection of the breast implant pockets may be a cause of implant displacement.

Sometimes, a patient's specific anatomic features may make her more prone to implant displacement.  Significant trauma may also be a cause of displacement.

Revisionary breast surgery to correct  breast implant bottoming out which will likely involve capsulorraphy ( internal suture repair). Sometimes, depending mainly on the patient's history and physical examination, I will also use additional supportive materials such as acellular dermal matrix or biosynthetic mesh. This procedure serves to reconstruct the lower poles of the breasts and prevent migration of the breast implants too far inferiorly. Associated issues with positioning of nipple/areola complexes should improve with this operation. 

Make sure that the plastic surgeon who does this procedure for you can demonstrate significant experience with revisionary breast surgery. 

I hope this, and the attached link and video (dedicated to corrective surgery for bottoming out concerns), helps.