I am looking to get nostril reduction due to accidents in the past. How can I find a qualified surgeon?

Hi, so in my teens I was attacked by a dog which proceeded to scar up my nose badly. the scars have healed over time but I still have some pretty visible unattractive scarring. my nostrils are uneven and deformed a bit due to it. i would like to know how i could find a qualified surgeon that could possibly help me with this issue. i would like local anesthesia and nostril reduction which would get rid of the scars i presume since they are only on the surface now. thanks for your time!

Doctor Answers 6

Scar revision from dog bite to the nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Scar revision can safely be done under local anesthesia. I would look for a rhinoplasty expert who has experience with scar revision on the face and nose. Scar revision on the face takes special skill and adequate planning, taking into consideration blood supply, flap orientations, and potential placement of new scars. A good place to start your research for the right surgeon in your area would be to look under the Real Self directory for facial plastic surgeons and general plastic surgeons in your immediate area under the topic scar revision. I would then use the narrowed directory to look at each person's qualifications. The candidates should have Board certification by either the ASPS or ABFPRS.

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Rhinoplasty and scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
First, look for a surgeon board-certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic surgeries.  You need someone who is adept at scar revision, reconstruction as well as cosmetic rhinoplasty.  This is our area of expertise.  I don't know anyone in Lakewood off the top of my head. Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Scar revision nose.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question. You can find a qualified surgeon by visiting the american society of plastic surgery website and search for plastic surgeon in your area. Generally speaking, scar revisions can be performed under local anesthesia. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Nasal repair after dog bite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It's likely that improvements could be made to your nose, even though your injury was years ago. Photos would help obviously, but see a plastic surgeon to find out what may or may be improved. Assuming the structure (bones and cartilage) is intact, the procedure would most likely only need local anesthesia.

Scars on Nose from a past Dog Bite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear dmarino, First of all sorry for the incident involving a dog bite to your nose. These are very traumatic incidents and unfortunately seen all to often. A consultation and examination would best determine which course of action would best succedd in helping to reduce your scars and alar base. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

I am looking to get nostril reduction due to accidents in the past. How can I find a qualified surgeon?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would suggest that have a consultation with a plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience who should be board certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you can find through the "Smart Beauty Guide" or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.