Can Lipo of the abdomen harm hernia repair one month healed?

Liposuction and Hernia Repair

WE do both at the same time, however if you had the hernia repair I suggest you speak to your physician to see what is the best option given the type of repair you had.  Dr. Emer.

Liposuction of abdomen one month after hernia repair

Thank you for asking about your abdominal liposuction.
  • Assuming the hernia was an inguinal, ventral or major umbilical hernia, I would recommend waiting 3-6 months before having liposuction.
  • And you should get your hernia surgeon's permission to have this done if it is done earlier than 6 months.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Can lipo harm my hernia repair?

It depends somewhat on the type of hernia repair and if any mesh was used for the repair.  You should ask the doctor that preformed the hernia repair to be sure, but my recommendations would be to wait 9 months or more for healing prior to any liposuction within that area.Best wishes.

Shayne Webb, MD

YES! Always best to allow 3 months from hernia repair to have any liposuction close to the operative hernia area.

Lipo after hernia repair

You should generally wait 6 to 12 weeks between procedures to allow for complete healing.  It's hard to say exactly what your risks are since I don't know how your hernia was repaired.  If you have a permanent or non-reabsorbable mesh from your hernia,  liposuction could be much riskier for causing an infection, especially this soon after your hernia.  I strongly recommend asking the doctor who repaired your hernia his or her recommendation about the timing. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon