I am scheduled for a BBL/ Lipo on Sept . Why does some surgeons use drains and some don't?

Will there be difference in my Bbl/ lipo if my surgeon does not use drains?

Lipo drains vs no drains

Hi There! Excellent question!

Drains are used at the area of the liposuction incision. There are 2 options:

One is to leave the liposuction incisions open to allow for drainage of the fluid. THis is the most common method. The aftercare involves you needing to change the dressings more frequently for first couple of days. Some patients may find this inconvenient- but not for the majority.

The second method is to use drains to eliminate this factor. This means the fluid will be collected in bottles outside the body.

It is up to the surgeon as to what they determine what method is used.

Hi and thanks for the question. Some surgeons use fraud in order to decrease fluid collection in the areas of liposuction. The incidence of fluid collection is very rare in my hands therefore I do not use drains. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Drains with liposuction and BBL

Hello and thank you for your question. Different surgeons have different protocols but I do not use drains in the setting of liposuction and fat transfer.
I hope this helps!
Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Drains or no?

Some surgeons will use drains especially when they use heating type lipo devices like Vaser or smart lipo.  I do not routinely use drains.