50yr old female desiring a facelift and rhinoplasty. Which surgery should be done first and what is the wait between surgeries?

Get Both Facelift & Rhinoplasty at the Same Time

These are 2 procedures that can be safely and effectively completed during a single operation. Of course, surgeons each have their own preferences, but combining a facelift with rhinoplasty is fairly common. Your first step is to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon to ensure that there is no medical reason why combining the 2 procedures shouldn't be done. In the hands of a skilled surgeon, combining cosmetic procedures can be both convenient and cost-effective because certain fees will be paid only once. Good luck with your choice!

Facelift vs rhinoplasty. Which one first?

The first question that I would ask if you were in front of me is which one bugs you the most?  They can both be performed at the same time but that decision is very surgeon dependent.  Doing one ahead of the other won't burn any bridges, that is results of the one don't directly impact the other.  If the facelift is performed first, I would wait until the facelift has healed and the swelling has decreased.  Rhinoplasties should be about balance and in my view if your face is puffy from the surgery then the surgeon isn't creating on a clear canvas.  I hope this helps.

Facelift and rhinoplasty

These are two procedures tailor made to go together.  The additional time will be insignificant and the degree of cost savings is considerable and the satisfaction of seeing the combined result potentially immense.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Facelift/rhinoplasty timing

I would agree with your plan to do these surgeries separately since they are both significant surgeries and deserve their own recovery periods.  As far as timing, it all comes down to your own preferences.  Whichever of these areas is of most concern to you should take first priority.  Good luck. 

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift & Rhinoplasty

Should you be a good candidate, some doctors may perform both procedures at the same time. I recommend that you contact a board certified Plastic Surgeon who's before and after photos appeal to you, then set up a consultation to discuss your options for rejuvenation. 

Take care. 

Hi. There is no need to have two separate procedures. I will often perform a rhinoplasty at the same time as I do a facelift. It exposes you to one anesthesia and one recovery. The cots are less when combined procedures are performed at one sitting. Most of my patients need to get back to work within 2-3 weeks and don't have the the luxury of taking vacation or time off twice in the same year. 

Always remember that you can hide anything below the neck but not your face. Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in rhinoplasty, facelift and eyelid surgery. I have been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery since1986 and have performed countless, rhinoplasties,  face/ neck lifts and eyelid surgeries. Remember this is your face....can't cover it up! Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck Dr. PG

Rhinoplasty in face lift

for the right candidate, it is possible to have both of the procedures at the same time.  If you want to or if you have to separate them for whatever reason, then it does not really matter which when you do 1st, therefore he should take care of the area the body 1st.  The space in between the 2 operations is in generally thought of between 3 and 6 months depending on how your healing goes.  You should absolutely speak with your surgeon to see how this information applies to you, so that you can receive personal and clear advice. Best of luck, Reza Momeni, MD FACS

Facelift And Rhinoplasty

One can perform a Rhinoplasty with a Facelift. I perform these procedures together routinely. The nose ages, in a similar fashion to facial aging, with loss of skin tone, elasticity, and drooping of the nasal tip, Rhinoplasty can be done to allow for a complete natural look to the face and nose. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in rhinoplasty and facial rejuvenation.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Why Not Combine Them?

I would actually encourage you to consider doing both operations at the same time. Generally surgical times of up to 6 hours do not result in increased complications. The 2 procedures are anatomically independent of each other. If your personal preference is to stage the procedures, or your surgeon is uncomfortable combining the 2, then either procedure can reasonably be done first. I would do the procedure first that bothers you more. Good luck with your procedures!

Consider a Combination Procedure

Both procedures can be done at the same time. If you choose to separate the 2, then you should first undergo the procedure that will correct the issue that bothers you most. I would wait 2 to 3 months between the procedures. Thanks for your question, and good luck!