Gynecomastia. Will it go away? (Photo)

I am a 15 years old boy sufferimg from gynecomastia.My index of body mas is 21.3, so the fat isnt the problem. I have some mas under my nipple which used to hurt me when i pressed at it but now the pain is gone. Nipple gets back to normal when i am cold or the niple gets thouched. I am wondering if there is any chance this woll solve on its own

Teens and Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Gynecomastia in teenager

Gynecomastia is common in young males and generally resolves around 18 or 19 years old. If this fails to resolve, surgical intervention may be necessary. At this point just wait to see if this resolves.

Single sided gynecomastia?

This is a common concern for many teenage men. It is difficult to tell or predict the future but in many instances of pubertal gynecomastia, it tends to resolve on its own by age 18. At you age it is best to wait. However, I do have a question, the photos appear to demonstrate your left side to be worse than your right. That may indicate a greater degree of breast tissue development or may indicate that it may not resolve to the same degree as the right. You may want to follow this along. The fact that the tenderness has resolved is a good sign.

Gynecomastia. Will it go away?

I'm sorry to hear about the problems the appearance of your chest wall cause for you. Pubertal gynecomastia often resolves within 1 to 3 years after onset. Adult onset gynecomastia however does not necessarily do so. If persistent, it is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  Best wishes.

Gynecomastia Lake Zurich, IL

You are an excellent candidate .
 How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

As one goes through puberty there is transient enlargement of the breast bud,he tissue below the nipple and areola.the increase in size subsides often with time. The issue is when you began to go through puberty.In cases with gynecomastia that does not resolve it is typical to see improvement when you pinch the nipple/areola or when there is a significant decrease in temperature. In summary if you have recently begun to undergo puberty you may well improve ,if its been several years since you began pubertal changes the odds are not nearly as good for improvement.

Gynecomastia

Hi,
Its normal for men to have transient gynecomastia while in puberty due to the hormonal changes in the body. The fullness and firm tissue generally resolve when the hormone levels normalize but can be persistent. I would advise waiting until you are completely through puberty to see if it resolves. If it does not, a simple in office procedure to reduce the extra tissue causing the nipple puffiness can solve your concerns.

best

David Shifrin, MD

Gynecomastia. Will it go away?

Thank you for your question and photo. Since you are only 15 years old, there is a good chance that this will improve, or go away, over the next 2 years. I would be patient and wait that long. If it does not resolve to your satisfaction, I recommend seeing a board certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to discuss options. Best wishes.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon