Smart Lipo swelling after surgery. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

I had smart lipo around waist and abdomen area 6 weeks ago. Outside of being the most painful thing I've ever done, I feel I've made the biggest mistake of my life. For the first month I could hardly move and now 6 weeks later, it is still very painful, still looks sworn larger than My size prior, can't fit into cloth I use to, and large sections of My sides and stomach area are rock hard, feels like solid masses under my skin. I'm starting to get concerned. Is this normal or should I be concerned

Smart Lipo

It is important to be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon because they are most familiar with you anatomy and procedure. Swelling occurs in all patients after smartlipo and can take up to 3-4 months to resolve. Not every patient heals at the same rate, some heal quicker and some heal slower than others but it is important to remember that you will probably look bigger before you look smaller and that is simply due to swelling. Be sure to wear your compression garment for the period your surgeon recommends, perform daily massages of the areas and follow a high protein, low sodium diet to help aid recovery and reduce water retention. It is also important to remember to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle through diet and exercise, even after surgery for optimal results. I hope this helps.  Best of luck in your recovery.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo Swelling.

We have seen swelling after smartlipo last for months.  Some patients require medications like steroids or diuretics to help resolve problematic swelling.  Compression garments, massage and exercise also help. Follow up with your surgeon to discuss.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

Swelling After Liposuction

I suggest lymphatic massages twice weekly to help reconstitute proper lymphatic flow. Without knowing what technique of liposuction that was used, how much fat was removed, amount of pre-existing scar tissue due to previous liposuction, etc, it is difficult to give a more specific response.  Please see your surgeon for further feedback.  Wishing you best of luck!

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Post Laser Liposuction--Swelling, bruising, irregularities

6 weeks is normal to still be experiencing swelling. However, I suggest you call your physician and talk about post op aftercare treatments. The swelling and scar tissue needs to be massaged and broken apart to create draining of the lymphatic system. Results may not be visible for 3-6 months. If you are unhappy please consult with an experienced cosmetic surgeon who specializes in VASER 4D Liposculpture. Commonly known as Hi Def Body Contouring. This revision procedure might be a great option for you, better assessed in person and without photos it is hard to tell. Best Regards, Dr. Berger

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

SmartLipo, normal...

Thanks for your question and sorry to hear that you are unwell. The amount of swelling you experience following your SmartLipo treatment depends on factors including the area treated, the amount of fat removed, your genetic tendencies, your skin type, and your natural healing abilities. Some people experience swelling for only one to two weeks. Others may need to wait up to three months for swelling to subside and up to 6 months for final SmartLipo results to be noticeable. So do not be discouraged, follow up with your doctor in regards to the pain but for final results, you will want to wait a couple of more months to take photos and compare. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #drdeanvistnes #realself

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Pain and swelling after smart lipo

Thank you for your question. Pre and post op pictures will help to comment. That amount of pain is not common at this stage. You need physical exam for evaluation. Please talk to your physician and express your concerns. If you are not satisfied please take another opinion.

Very Very unusual for extensive swelling if SmartLipo done correctly. Best to seek in person second opinions....

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you discuss your recovery timeline and process with your board certified facial surgeon.As you mention the pain associated with this procedure, I think you may be a great candidate for SculpSure. The 15-minute in-office laser treatment is performed by applying Velcro straps to your flanks and abdomen area that creates a warm and pleasant feeling en route to vanquishing up to 25% of that stubborn subcutaneous fat that is difficult to remove. Patients leave the office from SculpSure with the ability to resume their normal activities. There is virtually no recovery time required. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon