I had a tummy tuck 3 weeks ago. What is the best scar treatment to use for this incision?

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. At this point (3 weeks post-po) the swelling have to be minimal. To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts. If the fter six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem. Kind regards, Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

I recommend my patients start using a scar cream that has 100% silicone in it after 6 weeks. I recommend you address your question with your chosen surgeon.
Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Nothing you put on a tummy tuck scar will make the scar better.

Despite all the claims of various products, none has been proven to make your scar better. Scars tend to get better with time. There are some things that make scars worse - UV exposure, smoking,infection, friction. So don't bother with Mederma, cocoa butter, vitamin E, Stryvectin, massage or silicone sheets. I am not convinced that "embrace" is effective either. Your scar is going to get better with time regardless (unless you happen to be a keloid former).

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Scar treatment

There are many scar treatments on the market today.  Embrace is a product that seems to yield good results.  There are also silicone strips as well as topical creams.  The important thing to remember about any scar treatment is that it will take time to see improvement.  You need to be willing to commit to use the product for several weeks.

Camille Cash, MD