Do you get bruising if you have Botox for crease line on forehead? Do you have to stay out of the sun?

Botox- Bruising & Sun

When getting any injections, there is always a chance of bruising. Ways to prevent this are to stop taking any blood thinners a week before the treatment and taking Arnica can help. You do not have to stay out of the sun but I do advocate daily use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen—particularly after receiving cosmetic wrinkle treatments as the results of these wrinkle treatments won’t last if you continue to get unprotected sun exposure.The reason: Exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays (which can even penetrate through car and office windows) breaks down collagen and elastin in the skin, damaging the DNA of skin cells (the genetic coding that determines how your skin ages). This process triggers premature aging of the skin (e.g. fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, dryness, and loss of elasticity), as well as skin cancer.

It is possible and fairly common to get bruising from Botox to the forehead.

It is possible and fairly common to get bruising from Botox to the forehead. Anytime an injection of any kind is performed, there is always a small chance of bruising as this is due to penetration of the small capillaries on the skin surface. Thus it is important to avoid blood thinning medication before the procedure. I also recommend Arnica after injection if any bruising is noted as it has shown to decrease the severity and length of discoloration.

Gary Motykie, MD

Botox for forehead wrinkles

Botox works great to reduce horizontal lines in the forehead for the right candidate (those patients who do not have excessive laxity or drooping of the forehead or upper eyelid) and rarely causes bruising.  In fact the newest 32 gauge needles are so small that many of the injections are completely painless with topical numbing cream.  Of course these are still injections and bruises are possible but when they occur are typically very small spots which resolve in a few days.  Avoiding aspirin and other blood thinners can greatly reduce your risk of bruising.  Lastly, there is no problem with sun exposure after Botox.  

Patrick Flaharty, MD
Bonita Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

The sun has no effect on Botox treatments

Thank you for your question.  The sun has no effect on Botox injections. You can get a bruise from any type of injection, including Botox.  It is best to avoid medications that can 'thin' your blood for about ten days before injections such as aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, fish oil and others.  You can gently apply ice to the area that was injected that can also help with bruising but avoid pressure.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Botox

Hi there, thanks for sharing your questions. Generally, there is little to no bruising after Botox injections. There are a few precautionary measures you can take before your treatment such as avoiding blood thinners. It is also best to not do any sort of strenuous activity for 24 hours after you have been injected. As for sun exposure, there are no limitations but always remember to wear an SPF.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Bruising with Botox is a combination of several factors

Most of the time bruising with Botox is related to the following :
  1. Patient took blood thinning supplements, medicine, or alcohol
  2. Poor injection technique 
  3. Unrecognized vessel
  4. Underlying tendency to bleed
  5. Strenuous activity after treatment 
Sun will not affect the outcome. Avoid exercise, massage, sauna, hot tub, or hats for 4 hours.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Precautions after treatment with Botox

The chance of bruising after treatment with Botox is fairly low (<5%) but there is certainly a chance of developing a small pin-point bruise at the site of injection.  Usually even in the case of a small bruise it can be easily covered with concealer.  Sun exposure is not a concern after treatment with Botox and will not have any effect on the final results.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Bruising After Botox

It is possible to bruise after any Botox treatment. In my experience it is a small minority of patients who have bruising and an even smaller minority that have bruising which cannot be covered with makeup. The risk of bruising can be decreased by avoiding aspirin, over the counter pain medications (except for acetiminophen/Tylenol), and herbal remedies for two full weeks before Botox treatment. To a certain extent bruising is also dependent on injection techniques, experience, and training. I recommend that you always have Botox treatments performed in a doctor's office by a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

J. Stewart Humphrey, MD
Cape Girardeau Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Botox

It's always possible that you could get a bruise after any injection, but usually I can avoid causing a bruise.  Before I inject Botox, I look very carefully and mark out the injection sites to try to avoid any visible veins.  I also use a tiny 32 gauge needle which reduces the risk of bruising.  If I see any injection site that bleeds, I apply immediate pressure to reduce the risk of bruising.  If bruising is a big concern, it may be helpful to stop taking any blood thinners such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, etc prior to Botox injections.  (Don't stop any blood thinners if they are prescribed by your doctor for a medical condition).

Your skin might be slightly more sensitive for a day or two after Botox injections, but there is no need to avoid the sun.  You should wear sunscreen.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Do you get bruising if you have Botox for crease line on forehead? Do you have to stay out of the sun

Brushing is ALWAYS a possibility with any injection. I ask my private patients to have no sun for overnight only...