Pain free in left boob while right boob is still very painful! Normal?! (photo)

I'm 3 days post op and my left breast is a lovely shape near enough pain free and my right is still so high, tight, swollen and so painful! Next to my armpit is the most swollen and looks kind of flat at the side, underneath my breast feels soft like the implant hasn't dropped. I'm really worrying something is wrong :( it's very painful and dosnt seem to be easing at all

Pain in breast after Breast Implants

Thank you for your question and photo. Your right breast implant is clearly higher than the left breast. You should see your surgeon right away to make sure you don't have a fluid collection or hematoma. If all checks out OK, massaging your right breast will help to relax the right chest muscle so that the implant will drop into position like the left breast.

Too early to judge outcome

At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome.  It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant.  It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look.  Be patient.

Breast augmentation

Your right implant is higher on your chest.  It may not be too late to massage it downward and wear a breast band to help with symmetry.  See your PS right away so he can help.  Waiting too long may be detrimental. 

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Pain free in left boob while right boob is still very painful! Normal?!

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though some degree of pain and breast asymmetry is normal immediately after surgery it is not normal for it to be extremely painful.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation to ensure no other issues are taking place - a fluid collection for example.   

Pain and Swelling

You are still very fresh out of surgery you will experience pain and discomfort sometimes up to 2 weeks.  If you are experiencing severe pain please make sure to contact your surgeon.  We tell patients to allow up to 3 months for swelling to go down and implants drop into place.

Mark W. Greene, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Right breast painful

Remember that no two breasts ever look the same or heal at the same rate. However, if you are experiencing extreme pain in one breast, best to call your operating surgeon so you can be properly evaluated in person. Good luck!

3 Days Post Op

It is not unusual to experience some pain after surgery, but not extreme pain.  Contact your surgeon with your concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon