I have had an infection in my septum after ear cartilage rhinoplasty. Do you have suggestions for treatment?

I am 7 months out from rhinoplasty using ear cartilage graft. No permanent sutures were used. About 1 month ago my septum became swollen and infected I received antibiotics (IV augmentin 1250mg tid for 48hrs then 7 days augmentin tid 250mg oral) 8 days later the infection came back I received IV 500mg flagyl and 750mg cefuroxine tid for 72hours then 8 days oral 400mg flagyl tid 500mg bid cefalaxin... I'm now taking 100mg of doxycycline for 2 months I'm 1 week into it.it's not infected right now

Infection

It is unusual to get an infection in the septum after a rhinoplasty.  However this can occur in the setting of a retained foreign body.  It is possible that if a graft was used or an implant, it could become infected and require removal.  Cultures to determine the organism causing this infection could help better tailor the antibiotic course.  

I have had an infection in my septum after ear cartilage rhinoplasty

. I suggest that you continue with the treatment plan that your board certified facial plastic surgeon outlined as your surgeon knows the details of your infection the best. Feel free to provide greater information as to your reactions to each set of antibiotics so that we can have some more context.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

I have had an infection in my septim post rhinoplasty

Thank you Kath for your query.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. It sounds like the organism causing the infection remains elusive.

Your surgeon needs to get a microbiology swab of the affected area and determine the organism as well as antibiotic sensitivities. If the cartilage graft is affected, then unfortunately the graft will have to come out.

If I were your doctor I would tackle the problem as follows:

1. Microbiology swabs to determine the organism
2. Determine antibiotic sensitivities of the organism
3. Treat with appropriate antibiotics for 2 weeks
4. If the infection does not settle after two weeks of treatment, then I would remove the cartilage graft.

Hope my answer helps.

Kind regards.

Sorry for your serious postop issue/infection in the cartilage graft. If this does nt correct ONLY removal of the graft can be next consideration. Again sorry.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question, kathpearce5. I suggest that you continue with the treatment plan that your board certified facial plastic surgeon outlined as your surgeon knows the details of your infection the best. Feel free to provide greater information as to your reactions to each set of antibiotics so that we can have some more context.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon