I'm 17 days post lift & enlargement. I had 260cc implants over muscle. Why is one nipple bigger than the other? (Photo)

My concern is that one of my nipples is bigger than the other, will this change as my scars heal or will they remain the same? I'm really concerned

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Asymmetry Post Op

Thank you for your question. At this point you will have some swelling present and this may last at least a few weeks. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon about specifics of your procedure.

All the best

Why is one nipple larger than the other?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  There can be a number of reasons for differences in areola size - namely the tension placed along its edges from the surrounding breast skin.  I know waiting is difficult but allow your results more time to mature.  As your swelling resolves, your implants drop, and your skin regains elasticity you should see steady improvement in the symmetry of your areolas.  If they remain different sizes, a small office procedure can be done to improve any discrepancies.  

17 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 
Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Ma

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

I'm afraid that your areola size discrepancy might not correct itself with time. It will probably equilibrate a bit as your healing progresses, but if you remain disappointed with the asymmetry you should keep in mind tow important points. One, most women are a bit asymmetric and this is more the rule than the exception. Two, with time, you begin to accommodate and become far less concerned about any asymmetries. 

If neither of these points give you comfort or reassurance, just discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Down the road, if you remain displeased, a fairly simple minor revision can usually narrow the gap and make you feel better about your areolar symmetry.

Best of luck and don't worry, since worrying will definitely not make it better. You reassurance will come from good reliable information, and your plastic surgeon should be your resource. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Lift with Implants

At 1 days post-op it is not unusual to notice differences between one side and the other.  Our bodies heal at different rates and there are many factors that can affect this. 

Noticing one areola larger than the other may be a consequence of muscle function or the tension of the closure.  As you continue to heal you will either notice that the two sides become more similar or remain distinct.  It is a good idea to bring this up with your surgeon now so they are aware of your concern, but I would not advise doing anything for at least a few more weeks and better yet a few months. 

Different size areolas

This early in the postoperative phase, there are many variables that will allow for a dissimilarity in the shape and size of the areola. One areola may have more of a return of its smooth muscle contraction and look smaller than the opposite side. Similarly, there may be more tension in one side due to an asymmetry of swelling. I recommend you follow-up with your chosen plastic surgeon.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Areola size differerence after breast lift

Great question.  There are times when the tension of the skin closure during a breast lift are different enough to result in temporary areola size difference early on in recovery.  With time you will be able to either notice enough improvement that you are satisfied or you will not.  If the second scenario is the case a revision will be needed.  This can be a fairly straightforward process where only the circular incision is redone.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Asymmetry

Congrats on your augmentation, gevanss123! It looks like you may have had a mastopexy or breast lift as well. Some asymmetry after surgery is not uncommon and may have been there before. Often times if an implant is placed submuscularly and an implant is lower on one side it may be because the person is right hand or left hand dominant and the implant is being pushed by constant use of that one arm. Check with your board certified plastic surgeon and see what they think of the asymmetry. Best of luck, MMT

Asymmetric areola are size after mastopexy and implant usually will correct itself.

From the photograph you that a mastopexy with breast augmentation. The tension between the areola in the skin during closure can affect the diameter of that structure. As swelling subsides and the tissues relax they usually end up symmetrical.