My right eye is very hooded and eyebrow is also lower! Fix? (Photo)

This isn't something which greatly concerns me, but i'm curious. I've always felt as though the right side of is slightly less defined/supported/tight than my left side. When you look at my eyes, you can see how even the eye brow and the eye itself look a but different. Eyebrow is lower and the eye is much more hooded. Why would this be, and what would the 'solution' be out of interest? Some sort of brow lift or something??

More complete photos would be helpful to evaluate you. It does appear that the hooding of your eyelid is being caused by the drooping of your brow. A brow lift should remedy this situation. Good luck.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrows uneven

Hello and thank you for your question, Subterfuge. It does appear that you have some asymmetry of your eyebrows. This is fairly common in most people, although is often quite subtle. Without examining you in person, it is difficult to say whether you would need eyelid surgery in addition to brow surgery for correction of the issue. You would be a candidate for a brow lift - of which there are a number of different techniques. I would recommend discussing with your plastic surgeon and finding which technique works best in their hands. Best of luck!

Endoscopic Brow Lift

Thank you for your question. You would be a candidate for a brow lift. I was one of the pioneers for ENDOSCOPIC brow lift. I've lectured nationally and internationally on the subject. This is a great operation. One makes small incisions. A tv camera is inserted. The surgery is performed while watching television. Pain and recovery are minimal when compared to traditional techniques. For more information please watch the enclosed video and I hope you find this helpful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Agree that direct brow lift (a cut is made right at the eyebrow) is not a good option.

An endoscopic forehead lift can be performed irrespective of the hairline.  The surgery is associated with rapid healing and can actually be done under intravenous sedation avoiding the need for a general anesthesia.  Seek several opinions.  There is no substitute for a personal consultation.

Eyebrow ptosis, unilateral

This can be due to a variety of factors, sometimes seen with Bell's palsy, nerve injury, aberrant Botox treatment and other conditions.  Occasionally it can be helped with Botox but a brow lift of some sort (I advise against a direct brow lift because of the scar) might be done.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to get a consultation.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Options for brows and eyelids

From this photograph it is difficult to determine the cause of the asymmetry. Partial facial nerve paresis is on the list of diagnostic possibilities. Very little space is seen between the low edge of the brow and the lid crease on the right side - therefore, a blepharoplasty is not a good option in my opinion. You have fantastic eyebrow cilia, plenty to cover a direct brow lift incision. In a direct brow lift, the skin above the brow is removed to lift the brow a specific amount based on measurements. The tissue removed in a strategic shape to keep your eyebrow contour straight in the center of the brow (masculine). Performed properly with the incision hugging the upper brow cilia (no hairs clipped or removed), the incision is not visible once it heals. Brow lifts that do not remove tissue, tend not to last as long as those that do remove tissue. I review all of the options with my patients and many prefer the direct method, because it has an easy recovery without disturbance of scalp and innervation, and it can be done in the office - no patch, minimal activity restrictions, no pain (reported by most patients as painless), tenderness to touch (OTC meds). Best wishes with your decision.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow ptosis

You do appear to have brow ptosis on the affected side.  Normally a brow lift would be indicated but it depends on your hairline and the ability to hide the scars.  Another option and a good first step is an upper eyelid blepharoplasty or lift where a crescent of skin is excised.  This can correct the hooding and improve the brow symmetry in itself as less activity of the frontalis muscle is needed to keep your visual field intact.  

You need an evaluation

In your photo, the left brow is being actively lifted by your forehead muscle (see the creases forming above the brow on that side). This raises questions that need to be answered about the resting position of the left upper eyelid and whether you have an early ptosis or drooping evolving on the left, before a recommendation can be made to address the brow asymmetry. Is this asymmetry new? Look at your high school graduation picture and bring it to your appointment. If the asymmetry has been present all your life, then a brow lift could be considered on the right, or the left brow could be lowered with Botox. 

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon