Have I had a bad surgeon? (Photo)

From day 1 my right breast has been so much higher than my left, it feels empty at the bottem and like the implant is sitting near my armpit fold right up near my collarbone! There is hardly any swelling now and I'm starting to think maybe the pocket isn't big enough? I'm so worried I'm going to be left permanently like this. It's a very obvious difference and is also making my nipples look very different in symmetry

This may self resolve.

Thanks of your question and photo, and sorry to learn of your situation. It isn't clear how far out you are from surgery but it would be advisable to discuss your concerns with you plastic surgeon. The explanation might be an early capsular contracture on the right side, or an implant that has ridden up for some other reason, or positioned higher than desirable from the outset. A physical exam is important. There are potentially non-surgical interventions that can help, including medication soften a firm capsule, and the use of an upper bandeau (along with a bra) to try to help reposition the right (higher) implant to a more proper lower position that is more symmetrical with your left breast. If you have not made progress by discussing this with your plastic surgeon, I recommend a second opinion by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you. 

Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

A revision to reposition the implants properly can be performed.  You can discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see if he can offer this for you.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Have I had a bad surgeon?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your current results have caused you concern. Based on your full profile it appears that you are a little over a week out from your augmentation and it will be helpful to remember that the overall appearance of your breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate your implants.  Hopefully you have been able to see your surgeon to ensure that no other wound healing issues have taken place as you were having significant pain with the right breast as well. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Dear SophieYou are not my patient and I am sorry for you. This can be corrected. I suggest that you wait several months.Dr Sadove

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Hello, thanks for the question and picture.  I understand it is concerning, but it is not unusual to have asymmetry early on after surgery.  I'm not sure how long it has been since your surgery, but I encourage you to continue to follow up with your surgeon.  He or she will be able to determine if the implant still has time to settle into position, what maneuvers can be done now (e.g. wraps or compression to encourage the implant to settle downwards), and when it is appropriate to revise the pocket if needed.  Have a blessed day!

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician