Hello. I just had my BA yesterday morning. I find it hard not to use my pectoral muscles. Is this normal?

Is it normal to feel like I just had a major chest work out? I'm worried about a hematoma or CC. I have alot of swelling and they are so hard it feels like engorged from having a baby. 

Tight chest after augmentation

If your implants are under the muscle it is normal for you to feel as if you did a lot of push-ups. The muscle is bruised and often partially released which makes it uncomfortable to do ordinary activities like opening refrigerator and car doors. Most board certified plastic surgeons will recommend avoiding strenuous sports activities for 6 weeks after surgery to give the muscle a chance to recover and heal.

Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Check with your plastic surgeon

It’s common to experience soreness and swelling in the first 24 to 48 hours after breast augmentation. Your body has just been through surgery and needs time to begin the healing process. If the swelling doesn’t begin to subside or you are still worried about a hematoma or capsular contracture, you should contact your plastic surgeon ASAP. Be sure to continue following your surgeon’s instructions and taking any medications that were prescribed.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Sub pectoral breast augmentation can make use of the pectoral muscles very uncomfortable.

What you describe is fairly common after sub pectoral breast augmentation. However if you have concerns that the swelling is undo and there may be a fluid collection send a digital picture to your surgeon.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. . You are very early in the post-operative period and swelling is to be expected. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.