Are there any options for replacing a tooth extracted 4-5 years ago and has closed up considerably with an implant? (photo)

I had a my upper 1st molar extracted 4-5 years ago and now my wisdom teeth have come through on both the left and right upper and the gap has closed considerably. I would like to have an implant inserted to retract bone loss - which i think may have effected aesthetics - and then get braces to get all my teeth back in place. Do i have any options? Thanks

Implant and ortho

The space appears very small to fit a tooth.  You may need to see an orthodontist first to have an analysis of your bite and be informed of pros and cons of having braces to close the gap vs moving the teeth behind the space to create enough space for another molar.  Another factor that will come into play is the possibility of an sinus lift and/or ridge augmentation to have adequate bone to support the implant because, apparently, your teeth had shifted consideration in a relatively short period of time.  Hope this helps.

Replacing extracted tooth with an implant

Hi:

From the photo it appears that there is not enough space for an implant.  Orthodontic treatment is the best option to recreate the space in order to place a proper implant size in the space.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Ortho first

prior to restoring the area,it may be necessary to have orthodontics to upright the molar. After your occlusion is corrected the options of an implant or bridge can be discussed to restore the missing space.

Mark Sayeg, DDS
Atlanta Dentist

Small space for dental implants

A minimum of 6 mm of space is required for placement of dental implant. More ideally, the space should match the size requirements of the tooth being replaced. Orthodontist can help create the required space for the oral surgeon and the restorative dentist to replace it with a dental implant.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon