What surgery would suit me best? I have stretch marks around my belly button (Photo)

Would I require a tummy tuck or can I just have the skin taken in from the belly button?

Tummy answers.

The answer I give would depend on what result you are after and what scar burden you are willing to accept. There is a recent review of stretch marks in our literature which indicates there is no tool that really works for stretch marks. We can make red ones less red with laser, but yours are silver and we have nothing for that. We can make the fat on your abdomen reduced by coolsculpting or liposuction, but the skin might look looser than it does now. Thermi-Smooth would tighten your skin for about 25% of the cost of a TT, but you would not get the flatness of a  surgical result. There is a high worth it rating on Real Self for Thermi. I have seen only disastrous results from someone trying to gather the skin in around the belly button. Avoid that! I can not tell from your photos that your muscles are anything but excellent. Whether you need a formal TT or a lessor procedure (with hip liposuction) would add scar burden to your lower tummy, but may give you your best result. Stay in the USA and deal with a board certified PS!

Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks around the belly button are best treated with a tummy tuck

Your photo shows skin laxity both around the belly button and involving all of the lower abdomen. You also have widening of your abdominal muscles. These changes are usually caused by pregnancy. Small procedures to remove skin around the belly button are unlikely to be effective. A better choice is a tummy tuck, not only to remove extra loose skin around your belly button, but to tighten all of your abdomen and also repair the muscular diastasis. Not all tummy tucks are the same. You need a fully tummy tuck. I prefer to keep the scar very low, within your panty line. Usually women are worried about a long scar, but if it is kept low and within the bikini line they have no problem with it. Do not have a mini tummy tuck because this treatment does not tighten the skin around the belly button. You can read more at my website if you like. The link is provided below.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck For Stretch Marks Around Belly Button

Thank you for posting your photo with your interesting question. It appears that you have laxity and stretch marks of your abdominal skin and diastasis of your abdominal muscles. If you are not planning a future pregnancy, I would recommend that you have a full tummy tuck. It will give you the best result, because it will remove the lower abdominal skin with the stretch marks, tighten your abdominal skin and narrow your waist by tightening your abdominal muscles. I recommend that you have a consultation with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine you, discuss your goals, answer all of your questions and show you dozens of their before and after results. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

What surgery would suit me best? I have stretch marks around my belly button

Thank you for the question and picture. Specific/meaningful advice would necessitate an in person evaluation;  complete history/ physical examination/discussion of goals/expectations will be necessary. Having said that, based on the photograph, you seem to be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery. 

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Stretch Marks

Stretch marks on the abdomen are extremely common after pregnancy.  Many machines have been tried to remove them such as lasers, etc. Unfortunately nothing has ever worked. The only way is to excise (surgical remove) them. In your situation it appears most are over the lower aspect of the abdomen. Undergoing a tummy tuck would remove most of them. The remainder that are above the belly button would be moved lower on your abdomen. Along with tightening your stretched muscles you should be able to get a flat tummy.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hi and thank you for your picture and questions.  While difficult to tell for certain from just one photograph, you do appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  This will remove the majority of your stretch marks and significantly improve your overall contour and shape while giving you a better waistline.  Best of luck!

Will Tummt Tuck Get Rid of Stretch Marks

Hello. Thank you for your question. Looking at the photo you submitted, the best course of action for you is a tummy tuck. That will bring the muscles back together, tighten the loose skin and get rid of your stretch marks at the same time. Good luck.

Janet Turkle, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck that you find one who is board certified to obtain the best results possible. Based on the photo you have posted, you look like a good candidate for a tummy tuck to correct the loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall. When I perform a tummy tuck, I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist. I hope this helps!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Likely a tummy tuck will be necessary

It appears you may necessitate a tummy tuck to remove  the excess skin of your abdomen. This is a big surgery but very effective in removing the skin and giving you as flat of a tummy as possible. Best to see a plastic surgeon in consultation to find out for sure.

Anthony Youn, MD, FACS
Detroit Plastic Surgeon