Follow-up Question - Should I consider lip injections or temporary lip fillers? (photos)

Always been insecure about my lips and now that it's a trend it brings that much more attention to them esp when I wear makeup, there is nothing to flatter them. When I smile they become non existent. I know my huge nose and weak chin play a role in shrinking them, but even after I get a chin implant & rhinoplasty I'll still be focusing on them alone. Wondering what's the best way to go about this? what should I get & why? How much would it cost? Should I consider cheek implants too?
See average cost for Lip Augmentation

To see previous question, please click here.

Fillers to correct Smile

I would definitely suggest a small amount of filler in the lips and chin to augment and correct the asymmetry. Please consult an expert for this area.  Best, Dr. Green

Follow-up Question - Should I consider lip injections or temporary lip fillers?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I see your areas of concern and depending on your desired goal appearance I would advise use of a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler to address your lip volume and definition.  A strong improvement in your profile can be accomplished with a chin implant, osseous genioplasty (cutting and adjusting your natural chin bone), or a dermal filler.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your results.

Self-Confidence Solution

First of all, you can address both your chin and lips with the addition of fillers (Radiesse, Voluma, Restylane), which are temporary and allow you to see "try it on". More permanent solutions would be implants or fat. Cost will vary. I suggest getting a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip augmentation - Injections

Thank you for your inquiry Savnnah. In my opinion, the surgical interventions you require is Genioplasty AKA Chin augmentation as well as a Lip Lift.

There are two different types of chin surgery; however, implantation (mentoplasty) is the most common and sought after procedure. Chin implants can be removed if need be and are made of synthetic materials that are not only completely safe, but they also feel like a real chin when touched. On the other hand, genioplasty is a chin augmentation surgery that does not use an implant. Instead, this procedure involves moving your bone forward to increase the projection of your chin.

A lip lift is a surgical procedure that modifies the appearance of the lips through reshaping techniques. The procedure increases the prominence of the vermillion border (the red coloured area that is adjacent to regular skin). If your vermillion border is not clearly defined, it may look like your lips are either too thin, or simply a straight line with no contours. A lip lift will rectify this situation by giving you a sharp yet aesthetically pleasing contrast between your vermillion border and the skin under your nose.

My advise would be to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for proper in person or Skype/ FaceTime assessment . You are always welcome here in Montreal.

Lip augmentation options...

Hey Savnnah!  Good Morning! Yes, agree the first thing I noticed was your weak chin projection.  Getting this corrected will help with profile and would actually help with the aesthetics of your lips.  A good starting point would be to start with injections.  This will help you determine if going a more permanent route is indeed the look you are going for.  On a financial side, doing injections at around $550+ every 6-12 months a year just doesn't seem feasible when you can spend 2000+ once (surgery) and be done with it.  However, it depends on what the patient is willing to do.  I think you are a great candidate for chin implant placement with lip injections/augmentation. 

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. It is important to consider your lips in conjunction with your entire face, which will look different here soon after your Rhinoplasty and chin implant. Lip augmentation can be performed at the same time as those surgeries. I suggest that you move forward with a consultation with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. Fillers may work better for you because they add volume to thin lips but are not permanent. It will allow you to test drive a new pair of lips.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

Thank you for your question. your lips are full and beautiful, i believe the issue is mostly in the "setting" of the mouth, namely, the chin and are area between the nose and upper lip.A skilled injector can accomplish this by injecting a filler such as radiasse or retylane lyft in the chin to augment this area, and restylane filler in the area called pyriform aperture to give more upper lip forward projection. finally, injecting the "filtral columns" above the lip will create a beautiful and natural setting for your lips. If your lips "disappear" when you smile, depending on weather your lip rolls up or in, it can be treated with botox or dysport injections around the lip or the nose.

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician