I'm 4'9", 25 years old, 103 lbs and I'm a DDD cup. I have back pain. Should I think about getting a breast reduction?

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  It sounds as though a breast reduction would be best for you to help alleviate the back pain you are experiencing.  To determine what would be both best and realistic for you, please be seen in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast Reduction?

Thank you very much for your question.

If you are unhappy with your breasts and feel they are too large, then you are a candidate for a breast reduction (regardless of whether or not you're having symptoms).  Since you're having pain, your insurance company may pay for it, but this depends on the insurance company and their criteria.

I would begin by checking with your insurance company to see if breast reduction is a covered benefit, and then consult with a plastic surgeon who is in your network.  They will talk with you about the procedure, and guide you through the rest of the process if you choose to go ahead with it.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast reduction candidate?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Of course, definitive assessment and advice would require in person evaluation.
“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.
To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your description, it sounds like that you have a small frame with large breasts, that are contributing to your back pain.  If this is the case and you are a nonsmoker, you may be a candidate for a breast reduction.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Do I need breast reduction

Hi there ,
From your description It does sound like you have a very large breasts for smaller frame. Additionally if you are having problems with neck and shoulder pain, it would definitely be worth while to seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for breast reduction.They can go over the risks and benefits of the procedure in detail with you. Good luck!

Shwetambara Parakh, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon