Why is my tattoo removal not working?

I have a 1x1 black tattoo on my hip that is a year old. I have had 4 treatments with the Quanta Q-Plus C laser and there has not been any change at all. Is the PicoSure be a more effective option?

Tattoo Removal

You would be a great candidate for the Alex Trivantage laser. This laser is the only one on the market that can target colors.  The multiple wave lengths can target all the colors in the tattoo with 4-6 sessions.  You should contact a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible.

Tattoo removal

Thank you for your question in regards to Tattoo Removal.
Some inks may be deeper than others or even have more ink in an area which causes more treatments. Also, depending on the laser settings as well will be a factor as well. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Stubborn Tattoo

The Quanta Q-Plus C is a q switched nano second laser.  Your tattoo may be stubborn because of the type of ink or depth of placement.  Assuming the tattoo was treated at appropriate energy settings you should seek treatment with one of the newer picosecond lasers such as the PicoWay, PicoSure or Enlighten.  These devices us much shorter pulse widths and may remove stubborn tattoos and remove tattoos in fewer treatments.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Pico Lasers

Thank you for your question. I would recommend laser tattoo removal with a laser that uses picosecond technology. Pico lasers remove tattoos in about half the time and offer less chances of scarring and tattoo resistance. I have been practicing tattoo removal for 20 years and have 5 Pico wavelengths. We typically see tattoos removed in as little as 4-6 sessions.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon