Can I get away with just an implant? (Photo)

Hello. My doctor says I can get away with just doing an implant and Areola reduction. I was thinking 375cc hp under the muscle. Do you think I need a Lift?

It depends

The textbook answer is that you need a mastopexy BUT I disagree with the textbook. I found it depends on the patient. Some patients just want larger breasts without all of the scars of a lift and don't mind if they lay a little low on their chests. If that's you, you don't need a lift.

Do I need a lift?

Great question. There are three things that I look for when a patient presents with sagging breasts. From the single photo you posted it appears that your breasts are sagging a bit. These are the things that determine if I am going to suggest a lift. 1) Is the measurement from your sternal notch (that little depression above your breast bone) to the nipple longer than 20cm? (8 inches). 2) Does your nipple point downwards? 3) Is your nipple below the crease under your breast?Based on you photo it would appear that you would answer NO to questions 2 and 3. Only with an appropriate exam could we determine the accurate measurement for question 1. I'm guessing you will do well with an augmentation alone.All the best,Dr K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Try Implants Alone First

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. With only a profile image to work with, my general advice is that it depends on your cosmetic goals. Implants can create more volume in the upper pole, but only a breast lift can produce perkier breasts. You may well be happy with the implants alone. I'd advise staging the procedures in 2 operations. If you're satisfied with the results of breast augmentation without a lift, then you'll have your answer.

Breast implant with/without lift

Based on this one photo alone you may ultimately benefit from a breast lift either during or after your augmentation. In other words, you could do just a breast augmentation then wait about three to four months allowing the implants to settle. If you  and your plastic surgeon then feel it's necessary, you can proceed with the breast lift (likely a lollipop pattern). This is called "staging" the two procedures and it not only gives a more predictable result, but allows you to determine in those first few months if you really need the lift and the scars that come with it.

If you are still uncertain, consult with a few more experienced plastic surgeons for more information.

Dr.Bruno

Augmentation Mastopexy

A circumareolar lift would not be the best thing for your breasts, and placing implants through periareolar incisions puts you at the highest risk for capsular contracture. You would best be served with implants and a formal lift. Size would be determined after biodimensional analysis and reviewing your goals. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS surgeons that specialize in all types of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast lift

I agree that you need a lift as well as implants.  The peroareolar lift I don't think will get the job done.  I prefer the lollipop lift.  It gives more lift with a better shape, but not all plastic surgeons are comfortable performing the procedure, so you may want to go for another opinion.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Lift vs just implant

Hi. Thank you for your picture and question. Whether you need a lift or need really depends on what look you wish you achieve.  If you are ok with your breasts sitting in a lower position but just having more upper pole fullness then an implant by itself will be ok. However if you really want your breasts to be in a higher position (more perky) then you need a lift with implant.  Seek in person consultation with Board Certified Plastic surgeons who perform a lot of breast surgeries. Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Breast Lift

Hello, thanks for posting your picture and for your inquiry. I would suggest to have a breast lift with implants, that way you would achieve a more natural and desirable look, but it is always up to you. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Can I get away with just an implant

I think if you have an implant alone, due to the location of your breast at the present time, there will be little implant below the muscle. An areolar lift will not be enough to position your own breast tissue over an implant placed up higher under a significant amount of muscle

Julio Garcia, MD

Impossible to determine

Your side view shows significant skin laxity which may borderline a lift. It is very important to seek board certified breast specialist in your area to determine whether a lift will be beneficial 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS