I had a Mommy make over 4days ago. I have lots of pain in my sides (hips by incision area) and lower back. Is this normal?

The pain in my sides (hips) and lower back is far worse than the my breasts or stomatch. Is this normal? My husband showered me today and the area in my lower back made me bawl it hurt so bad to touch it. Ive been walking, doing my breathing ect. Im also wondering because I am so uncomfortable Im not sleeping much. How long before I can sleep on my sides vs my back with my legs elevated?

Pain on sides and back after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• It sounds as though you have severe lower back muscle spasm from sleeping on your back.
  • First, let your surgeon know promptly.
  • Ask her/him if you can lie flat on the floor for 15 minutes, breathing slowly and fully. Often this allows the muscles to stretch.
  • Also ask if you can try ice packs - they often help muscle pain more than hot packs.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Pain after surgery

I am sorry that you are so uncomfortable.  Your pain level should be improving daily.  Also, unless you had a buttock lift, or lower back liposuction as part of your Mommy makeover package, pain in this area is unusual.  Regardless, I suggest you consult with your plastic surgeon immediately, for evaluation of the source of this pain and possible better analgesic options.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover 4 days ago. Pain normal?

Thank you for your question.  Our office takes post operative pain management seriously.  Our current protocol includes a pain pump, (with numbing medicine), that will instill the numbing medicine in the area for the first three days after abdominoplasty.  Patients typically move off the pain medicine to Tylenol after a few days.  We try to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin products for a couple weeks post op.  Each patient has their own pain tolerance. You are very early in your post operative course, any you had quite a bit of surgery.   Best to talk to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as each surgeon will approach the operation and the postoperative management differently.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Post op pain

I am so sorry that you are in such pain. Definitely let your surgeon know. It is unusual to have lower back pain as a result of a Mommy Makeover which leads me to believe that this is a muscle spasm. Speak with your surgeon about exercises, ice packs and/or muscle relaxers that you could use for relief in that area. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Pain after Procedure

Thanks for your question.  Hope you are feeling better since you asked this question last week.  Make sure to take it easy, utilize your pain medications, ice packs, and check with your surgeon as needed to ensure all is healing well.

Cheers and best wishes!
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make over 4days ago. Lots of pain in my sides (hips by incision area) and lower back. Is this normal

Tummy tucks can be very painful procedures for a variety of reasons. The muscle repair is usually the source of the pain in the first few weeks. Also, areas of liposuction can irritate the nerves and cause significant pain and swelling for the first week. It sounds like you had liposuction of your flanks (sides) and lower back as part of your tummy tuck. You should discuss your pain level with your plastic surgeon to make sure no other issues or complications are the source of your pain.

4 Days Post Op

Thank you for your question. I'd recommend speaking with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns. 

Take care. 

Discomfort after mommy makeover

I am sorry to hear about your pain. If you are having pain that is not decreasing daily and not controlled by pain medication then you need to see your surgeon ASAP!

Mommy makeover pain?

Hello and thanks for your questions. Some pain after surgery is normal, but if the pain seems extraordinarily high it is probably better to let your plastic surgeon know so they can give you some advice. Best wishes always, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD