It's been 6 days since deviated septum fixed, stitches are irritating my nose?

Can I get the stitches out before my schedule appointment? It's irrating my nose so bad that I want to rip them out. I obviously don't want to do any damage but the stitches are so far outside the center of my nose it's irrating the whole side.

Rhinoplasty and stitches

You are best to discuss this with your surgeon to determine what is best for you.  Best of luck.......

After septoplasty, you will have stitches inside the nose to keep the septum flaps pressed together. Long stitches can definitely be irritating. I would recommend heading into your surgeon's office to have them trimmed. I don't recommend doing it your self as you can damage or contaminate the nose. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irritating stitches

Thanks for your question. Sorry about the annoyance! Stitches inside your nose are standard after having septoplasty surgery. Almost always they are dissolvable. The kind I use typically dissolve after about 10 to 15 days- my patients gently blow their nose after using saline and can notice a thread come out! If they are bothering you, give your doc a call. Sometimes the ends can be trimmed shorter which makes them less annoying. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only one week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD