Should I be supporting my breasts during healing? Wearing a bra (Photos)

I had a lift, silicon exchange and Lipo done on my breasts a week ago( I went smaller). The dr had me take all bandages off, including steri strips the next day. I was told not to wear a bra for a month or 2. I feel like I should be supporting them somehow. Also should I be putting anything on my incisions? Neosporen? Where all the incisions meet underneath the skin looks really dark to me. They said it's ok over the phone but haven't seen it.

Post operative support

All surgeons have their own techniques and instructions for their patients that are individualized. If you have concerns, make an appointment to see your surgeon in person. That being said, I personally like for my mastopexy patients to wear a supportive bra post-operatively, more so if they also got implants. I like for the bra to hold the weight of the implant off of the incisions (as to not put pressure on the incisions where they can come apart). Keep in mind that the mastopexy is working on making everything tight and higher, whereas the implants are making things bigger. In a way they work against each other, keep a close eye on your wounds and on the color of your skin. And again, follow up with your surgeon.

Support Bra After Breast Lift

Each plastic surgeon has their own protocol for their patients to follow after surgery. Some surgeons believe you should wear a support bra after breast surgery and others don't believe it's necessary. I have different recommendations for each of my patients based on what we need to accomplish during the healing process. If I want the implants to drop, I have them wear a non-support type of bra. If I want the implants to stay in position, I have them wear a support bra.

If you are concerned about your incisions and whether or not a bra would be helpful, I recommend you schedule an appointment with your doctor. 

Breast support after breast lift

Surgeons have individual preferences often relating

to their surgical technique and training. You should 

discuss your concern with your doctor and he may

explain his reasoning. A sport bra type with no 

underwires is often recommended by some surgeons.

Best Wishes.

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Surgical bra

Hello dear, thanks for your question. 

How long I have to wear my post-surgical bra after a Breast surgery?

I always recommend my patients to wear their prost-surgical bra for at least 3 months from surgery day.

Then you can change to an sports bra and continue using it for at least 6 months from surgery. It is a process and we have to give support and protection to our breasts.

Compression is good for our breasts after a this procedure, we have to protect our post-surgical results and we will have a great surgery outgoing!! 

But I recommend to ask to your PS, because each surgeon has their own politics.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Bra During the Post-Op Healing Process

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

If at any point you become worried about the healing process it would be best to visit your surgeon for another examination to make sure that the healing process is going well.