Is this necrosis? (Photo)

This area started off purple the day after surgery, when I was told to remove the bandages It's only gotten darker and Is now black. It has absolutely no feeling when I poke it. If it is dead skin, what now? How is it treated? Is it removed? Will it grow bigger? Will I have to be re-sutured if they do cut it out and will it leave a hole? Can you tell me all I need to know about this. I know it's not as bad as some of the other pics on here but I'd like it to not get there! Thank you for any info

Local necrosis

You are demonstrating necrosis of the skin at the inverted T incision site; This area can be treated with local dressings and appropriate antibiotics. I recommend you culture this area to guide your choice of antibiotics.

Is this necrosis?

It does appear that there is a small area of necrosis at the T-junction. In general, these areas are treated conservatively by keeping them wean and covered. With time the small area of necrosis heals by itself. Make sure to get exact recommendations from your surgeon. Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Necrosis

Yes it is necrotic, but it won't grow bigger! This is the most common area to do poorly after a lift or reduction, and they heal very well, without any further suturing.  Leave these dark areas uncovered, but please keep supportive paper tape or silicone sheeting on the rest of your incisions!!! Have your surgeon take a look at least weekly to follow them along and do whatever is necessary to get them to heal, which really depends on how deep the necrotic tissue goes. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Is this necrosis? (Photo)

This is an eschar which results from loss of viability of skin. This is fairly common to occu in this area which is a junction of the 2 upper breast flaps and the central inframammary area. Your surgeon will know how to take care of this which requires local treatment without surgery.

George Lefkovits, MD

What is breast skin necrosis?

Hi Caris32,

Thank you for your question and your photographs. It certainly looks like you have a small piece of skin necrosis at the T-junction. This simply means that the skin did not have enough circulation and died. Sometimes this happens at this location after surgery depending on how much of a lift you needed. It's just like having a scab after you cut yourself.  The skin usually heals underneath and the dead skin just falls off. Based on your scars it does not seem that the skin necrosis will increase in size or expand. I would recommend that you keep close follow-up with your plastic surgeon and follow their recommendations. It may need to be cut out but more than likely not. I would recommend keeping it clean and Not going into swimming pools and bathtubs until it is healed. Usually this does not cause any disfiguring scars. Good luck.

All the Best,

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon

#BreastLift #BreastWound

Wound Necrosis

Difficulty with wound closure and healing in this spot is common. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to examine you in person and provide would care instructions for you to ensure that you have no complications as you continue to heal.

All the best

Is this necrosis?

Yes, it does appear that you have a small area of skin that did not survive, which is not entirely uncommon at the T junction of a breast lift incision.  If you have implants in addition to the lift, there is some concern that the implant could become exposed with any open wound once the skin falls off, but your PS will know how the incision was closed and whether or not this is a concern.  If it is a concern, he or she may remove this small area and re-close it and if there is not this concern, then local wound care is usually the answer until the wound heals in on it's own.  Usually a moist wound heals faster than a dry wound and make sure to eat plenty of protein to assist with the healing process.  Also, please make sure your PS is aware of what is going on so that he/she can actively be involved in the management and whatever he or she recommends for treatment should take priority over any advice received on this site.  You should be fine.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Triple point

The area of concern is called the "triple point."  This is the point where the medial and lateral skin flaps are brought to the center.  This is also the most ischemic (least amount of blood flow) area on your skin.  Small wounds like yours are extremely common and usually heal with local wound care and usually require no additional procedures.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS