Am I developing capsular contracture one month post op? (Photos)

Hello doctors, I am one month post-op from breast augmentation. I literally woke up today with this tethered and misshapen look. (The first photo is how they looked just last week. They looked fantastic.) My implants are 485cc silicone, moderate profile, areola lift. How could this happen overnight? Am I developing capsular contracture? I would really appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

Am I developing capsular contracture one month post op?

I doubt capsular cotracture this early after surgery. I am guessing that the incisional scar is retracting. See your surgeon and ask if massage and breast implant displacement exercises will help.

Contractures really don't happen that soon

so its more likely this is related to your breasts settling after having the Benelli lift.  You should see your surgeon for an exam and reassurances as to what may be happening.

Curtis Wong, MD

Postop from peri-areolar lift

You are demonstrating peri-areolar concerns that are associated with a periareolar lift; this is why I recommend a vertical mastopexy lift which allows for more rearrangement of tissues so that you avoid tightness, tethering, and a wide areola scar. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Probably not capsular contracture

Hello and thank you for your question. It is unlikely that capsular contracture has occurred at one month post-op.  The first thing you need to do is notify your plastic surgeon -- hopefully they are board certified in plastic surgery. They will know best the details of your surgery and their expected post-op course for what they have done.  Please note that wound healing takes place over 2 years, but that the most noticeable changes are during the first 3-6 months.  If at 6 months you are still unhappy, you should still speak with your surgeon and see what they recommend.  If you are still unhappy or wish to seek a second opinion, I highly recommend you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in revision breast surgery for your optimal outcome.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Periareolar Incision

You may or may not be developing capsular contracture, but you certainly are developing tethering scar from areola to deep structures, with possible loss of tissue. This is another complication of going through the areola that doesn't occur with an inframammary incision (fact), and why I believe it should never be done (opinion). Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Unlikely to be capsular contracture this early...

It is strange for this to happen overnight, but it could be due to a multitude of things. It may be scar tissue related to the incisions themselves (incisions related to the breast lift).

Capsular contracture will make the breast become firm in the early stages, and then the breast can start to look abnormal and become painful as it progresses, but it is highly unlikely that this is the scar tissue around the implant (i.e., capsule) as that can take more than 2 months to form unless the patient has had significant bleeding or infection, etc.

I believe you would benefit to know that recently I encountered a patient who was experiencing a similar indentation in the lower pole of the breast near the incision and it may have been the incisional-scar tissue that was pulling on the skin. This rarely happens, but it became better in a couple of weeks as they massaged the area.

Regardless, please follow-up with your plastic surgeon as they are better informed about your medical & surgical history. Their instructions should take precedence over everything else you read here.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD