Had a lower body lift 7 months ago after loosing 100 lbs. I'm concerned about my scars. (photos)

Scars are raised and red post lower body lift. Will they get better on their own or do I need treatment? Any suggestions on how to address? 

How can I improve the appearance of my scars?

Unfortunately, I would have recommended wearing ScaRxtape on your scars about two weeks after your surgery for a several month period. Now, you should benefit from a revision not only of your scars but removal of more skin. I am President of the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons and helping patients such as yourself is my specialty.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scars are raised and red post lower body lift. Will they get better on their own?

Thank you. Congratulations on achieving the weight loss. Your scars are slightly thickened and still discoloured. This means that the scar is still maturing and changing. Scars take at least a year and longer in some cases to mature. A thickened scar may respond to steroid injections if Silicone pressure taping has not been successful. Laser can improve the discolouration.With scarring, I recommend waiting as time is on your side and most scars improve with time.All the best.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Body lift - but scars are raised and red.

Thank you for asking about your body lift scars.
  • You seem to have a lovely result - except for your scars.
  • Scars continue to improve indefinitely.
  • But at this point, either vascular laser treatment or steroid/5-FU injections can reduce the thickness and the redness.
  • The laser is the better first step, since it removes the redness without the risk of widening the scars.
  • Taping and silicone strips often help scars while they heal but are not so effective this long afterwards but are harmless to try.
  • Ask your own surgeon what s/he recommends for your first next step.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Scars will get better with time (and some additional things).

Congratulations on your weight loss and body lift surgery! You look nicely sculpted and I understand your scar-related concerns. Fortunately, although you appear to have the genetic tendency to form hypertrophic scars, they DO eventually soften, flatten, and fade. Unfortunately, that can take a couple of years, and you're only(!) 7 months into the process. During that time, it is critical to avoid ultraviolet exposure (or the scars turn brown--permanently), and silicone scar sheets can help to flatten raised scars and reduce color faster.

Steroid injection , tapes, or topical creams/ointments are recommended on an individual basis, as steroids can also flatten hard, raised scars, but at the expense of thinning and widening of the scars, sometimes significantly.

For now, time is your best friend, though also your nemesis. Be patient and most patients with scars like yours will be rewarded with improvement that gives you the result you deserve! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after body lift

Thank you for including photographs and congratulations on achieving your weight loss!   You appear to have a nice result overall from your body lift, but the scar lines are hypertrophic (thickened, red, firm, raised).  It is essential to see your plastic surgeon about this because there are multiple potential ways to improve them.  Injections of steroid directly into the scars, followed by daily use of topical silicone sheeting, can soften and flatten them.  Ultimately, you may need revision of the scars and careful monitoring afterward to prevent their recurrence.  Best wishes for continued improvement!

Scars after body lift

Thank you for your question. In general you got good result. It is time for scar management. steroid injection or laser treatment may help. Scar maturation can go upto 9-12 months.Please talk to your PS and start the scar management.