1 month post labiaplasty. I want a revision. Any advice? (Photo)

It has been exactly a month since my surgery. I had a labiaplasty trim performed under local anesthesia. I am happy with how the lower part turned out but now it looks like my clit is misplaced and bulging. My doctor offered to do a revision in 3 months if I am still unsatisfied...what could be done in a revision to improve the over all look?

See a different doctor for a revision

Your doctor does the trim technique or amputation method, which cuts away the minora almost completely, and leaves the fullness at the hood. It is the wrong operation for your issue, which is fullness at the hood. I would not expect they could properly perform this revision, which probably requires using the hood tissue to reconstruct the minora. Be selective and find an expert for this.

Wait as advised

I suggest you wait a few months, as your surgeon recommended, before considering a revision. This is because swelling may still be affecting your results. 

1 month post labiaplasty. I want a revision. Any advice?

Thank you for your question and photographs. I am sorry to hear that you are unsatisfied from your surgery.  I see in your pictures that your clitoral hood appears enlarged in comparison to where your surgery was performed.  My opinion is that you should allow 4-5 more months to pass before pursuing any additional surgery.  This will allow your surgical site to fully heal and mature, while also eliminating any residual swelling.  Once enough time has passed, and if you are still unhappy with the results, then see a board-certified plastic surgeon who can make recommendations about how best to reach your goal.

Labiaplasty revision expert in Los Angeles

In my practice, I see many patients for labiaplasty revision and generally tell them to wait a few months to six months for all the tissue to retract and the swelling to resorb. In some cases, we have patients take SwellX to further reduce swelling so that we can better assess the area. Many of your concerns will likely improve as the swelling subsides. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Revision labiaplasty at one month

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. I cannot judge your result from your photos because they are not clear and close-up.   The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty made the clitoral hood look enlarged

You have an enlarged clitoral hood. This is treated with a clitoral hood reduction and is usually done at the time of labiaplasty. If you requested a labiaplasty without a clitoral hood reduction, then you got what you requested. If the option of clitoral hood reduction was not discussed with you prior to surgery, then I would ask the surgeon to do the clitoral hood reduction for no additional charge. However, if the reason that he didn't touch the clitoral hood is lack of experience in treating the hood, I would pass on the free revision and have it done by someone with expertise in that procedure.

Labiaplasty revision

Hi... thank you for the question and photos... for a month your healing is very good.. you still swollen.. after 3 month you have too see how your clitoris is looking... and if is needed a skin resection coul be done.

Luis A. Mejia, MD

When to do a revision. "Bulging clitoris" post-labiaplasty

To be honest, your best bet is to go with your original surgeon after 3-4 months.  Any surgeon who offers to do a revision less than 3 months after surgery is operating below the "standards of care..."  It takes a full 3-4 months, and sometimes longer, before the tissues are fully healed, all the swelling is gone, and the tissue has re-vascularized sufficiently for a revision.  Although the skin has healed sufficiently for mostly full activities, in a month, IT TAKES A MINIMUM OF 3-4 MONTHS FOR FULL HEALING! Don't have anything revised earlier.

Please click on the link below for loads of info about LP and other vulvo-vaginal cosmetic/plastic procedures...

Very best,

Michael P Goodman MD

Revision labiaplasty

For one month post-op, it appears you are healing well and i would continue to follow the advice of your operating surgeon. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Appearances are typical following a trim technique

and if you want to diminish the prominence of the upper portion, you will need a revision.  This likely will involve some removal of hood and the upper most portions of the minora, depending on how your final results appear and what you are desiring.  BUT before you have this done, you should allow complete healing and its generally considered that it takes at least 6 months for that to happen.  Who knows, you may actually like what you are seeing then.

Curtis Wong, MD