Is recovery time longer for a lowered fold? How much longer could I expect to be in this much pain? (Photo)

I had my BA 7 days ago (1/11/16) with 265cc hp sub-muscular. Because I have a constricted lower pole, my surgeon lowered my fold. I started having pain in the fold of my right breast while lying in bed the past couple days. It feels as if I'm wearing a very uncomfortable underwire bra to bed and at the same time it burns. The pain, however, is relieved whenever I get up from bed/sit up. With this much pain, I am unable to sleep longer than 2 hrs at a time as the pain becomes excruciating.

Recovery time longer for lowered pole?

Lowering the fold requires more aggressive dissection than one would require if the fold were in normal position. Postop pain after BA can last up to one to two weeks,depending on the individuals' pain tolerance . It, is encouraging that your pain is "positional" and is relieved with sitting up,since sitting relieves excessive stretching beneath the breast. I'm sure that with time your pain will decrease so try to be patient! 

Pain after breast augmentation

As I am sure you have been told, postoperative pain and recovery varies from patient to patient.  In general, patients with submuscular implant placement, larger volume augmentation, and additionally-required dissection (such as in fold manipulation) may experience more pain than the average patient.  Although most patients will report being relatively comfortable by 1-2 weeks, certain "pings" of discomfort or brief episodes of discomfort are not uncommon for several weeks and even months.  I would relay your experience to your surgeon to (1) ensure your recovery is progressing appropriately and (2) see if any medication modifications might be appropriate until your pain resolves.  Good luck!

Post op pain

Thank you for the question and sorry you are in so much pain.  Unfortunately one cannot predict how long this will last but you will recover as you are still early post op.  That said see your surgeon and after a full examination get his opinion.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Pain after lowering the fold

There is significant variability in the amount of pain that augmentation patients feel after surgery.  In general, though, procedures that require more aggressive dissection like yours can lead to more discomfort.  This can be from trauma to the muscle or chest wall when lowering the fold,  sutures placed into the chest wall to anchor the fold in its new, lower position, or an implant pressing up against the tender tissues and/or nerves.  If the pain is new, asymmetrical, or there is any visible difference in the breast then you should see your surgeon for evaluation to ensure that you are healing normally.

Lowered fold

Usually, when the fold is lowered its because the base is smaller than you want for the size implant chosen. This is usually combined with a tight skin envelope. The increased stretch of this tight skin can make for more soreness.Non-steroidals usually are quite helpful. Ask your plastic surgeon when they think it is safe to take these as they thin the blood. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is recovery time longer for a lowered fold? How much longer could I expect to be in this much pain?

Thank you for your question.  In general lowering the fold does involve additional surgery, and in some patients this may prolong the healing process.  I would recommend sleeping with a few extra pillows behind your head and back at night to help prevent excess breast swelling and pain that accompanies this skin stretch.  Hang in there and voice your concerns with your surgeon. They can provide you with reassurance. 

Longer recovery for lowered fold?

Hello Hooters! I lower the fold quite a bit and I do find the recovery is a bit longer. Perhaps a few extra days. Suturing the fold down after it is lowered is what normally causes the pain. Non-steroidals work the best for this in my opinion. Good luck on the rest of your recovery! Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Thank you for your question, this is normal after your kind of surgery for lowered the pain takes a longer time to heal and recover however it is also advisable to contact your Surgeon for a follow up and control. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Longer recovery time?

Hello, if your surgeon had to do more dissection on one side to lower the fold, it is feasible that this could have caused more pain.  In cases of severe pain I would recommend contacting your surgeon - even if they do not find any problem with your healing, they might be able to prescribe additional pain medications.

Lowered inframammary crease?

Didn't see a photo but lowering the fold is not ideal when treating constricted breasts. Instead, the nipple should be moved up high and out of the zone of constriction using a simultaneous breast aug and lift. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD