Beginning of areola necrosis? 2 days post-op breast lift (Photo)

I am 2 days post-op and not sure if this is beginning of nipple areola necrosis. I have sensation in my right nipple and when Dr. Poked it with needle blood came out. Is the nipple going to survive? Please let me know from the pictures attached what you think.

No necrosis

Based on just your photos, you do not look as if you have any necrosis. When you see your surgeon and he or she removes the tape, it will look better. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Blood not necrosis

The nipples are fine and one can't see the areola as there is some clotted blood around the areola. I doubt whether there is an issue and when your PS removes these I would be confident that all will be fine. Best to see you PS if you have concerns as I am sure that you will be reassured once the steri strips are removed.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Nipple blood supply

From the photos you provided the nipple and areola look pink. Having pink blood on needle prick is also a very good sign. Keep a close watch on it with your plastic surgeon. Creams like Nitropaste can be added to improve blood flow. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Nipple blood concern

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures.  Your nipple seems pink on the picture, and only an exam can really tell.  The pink color is a good sign, please keep under close observation with your surgeon.  Good Luck.