46 years old and I am looking into a treatment for a double chin and jowls. Does Kybella work? Or Lipo or neck lift? (photo)

Treatment for double chin and jowls

All of the treatments (and some you did not mention, like Ultherapy) will work, it really depends on your budget, appetite for recovery and expectation to the degree of change. In general, surgery (neckline and lipo) will give you the most dramatic, long lasting effect. It also will have the most down time for recovery. It may seem like surgery will cost the most up front, but from your photos, you likely will need 6-9 vials of Kybella to get a good treatment. This will be over 3-4 injection sessions six weeks apart from each other. Check with your local area experts and board certified plastic surgeons on cost to compare. Also, Kybella will not do anything for your jowls, but a necklift almost always is combined with a lower facelift for jawline improvement. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Kybella vs Neck Lift

The right procedure for you is really going to depend on your expectations, budget and ability to take time off to heal. A neck lift is definitely going to deliver the most dramatic results. Kybella only addresses the submental fat under the chin. Also, it takes multiple treatments while a neck lift is a one shot deal. However, there is no recovery time with Kybella while there always downtime with any surgical procedure. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella versus submental liposuction

This question comes up frequently in my practice. I typically break it down as follows:Kybella is great to dissolve the fat and improve the contour in the submental region. It takes 2-3 treatments for maximal results so it is more of a marathon mindset, not a sprint.Liposuction is better for someone with fat that needs to be removed throughout the neck and is not willing to wait the 3 months to get the result they want. From your photos, depending on what your expectations are, you might be a better candidate for submental liposuction because it can contour your jawline as well. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella or Lipo

Thank you for your question vcampos1. Kybella and liposuction are great treatments for the double chin, or submental fullness. Amazing results can be seen with both treatments so it is important to understand the differences. Liposuction is an invasive surgical procedure. There is a longer recovery time and you will need to wear a band around the neck for a couple of weeks. The results are seen quickly and can be very impressive. Kybella is the first FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. There is swelling for about a week; this is the most common side effect. Two to four treatments are required and results are seen much more slowly. This is the information we provide patients so that they are educated and able to make the best choice for them. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Kybella/Belkyra vs Ultherapy vs Chin Lift

Kybella or Belkyra is an injection that dissolves fat.  Ultherapy is ultrasound technology designed to tighten the skin by stimulating your natural collagen production.  Lipo Lift or submental liposuction is surgical procedure with substantial downtime. We encourage clients to meet with your Physician to determine which procedure is right for you.

Double Chin and Jowls

Kybella is a great treatment for the submental fat and permanently reducing it. From your photos you may have more improvement with Coolsculpting - with the cool-mini applicator.  It will work well and have excellent results. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Grene

Kybella vs submental lipo

Kybella is a fantastic new non-surgical treatment to get rid of unwanted submental fat (double chin). It requires 2 - 4 treatments to get maximum results. For the right candidate, Kybella will give you the results you need. Alternatively, submental liposuction with a neck lift is an even more effective treatment for patients with more fat accumulation and jowls. I would need to consult with you in person to more thoroughly examine your submental fat, jowls, skin elasticity, etc to determine if Kybella or submental lipo/neck lift would be the best treatment to get you the results you want. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Treatment for double chin and jowls.

The answer depends on your expectations.  Kybella works well to treat the "selfie" double chin by reducing the fat in this area- it is not a treatment for the jowls because there is a nerve in that area ( the submental nerve) that could be damaged by the Kybella.  I'm a plastic surgeon and I will tell you that the best result is with liposuction and a facelift.  But this is more expensive and has more down time and not every patient wants surgery.    I find that many patients are happy with "better" at a lower cost and without surgery.  Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon that does both.   

Jonathan Hall, MD

Submental Fat Reduction

Thank you for your question. We offer liposuction, Kybella, and Coolsculpting with the Coolmini applicator which are all efficacious submental fat reduction methods. I would recommend an in person exam to determine your candidacy based on skin elasticity, overall health, goals, and result expectations.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment

Thank you for your inquiry.  The Neck and Jowl area are a unique area to treat.  The surgeon must be experienced in this area to get an excellent result.  There are several treatments which give great results depending on the complexity of the problem.  These treatments include....Liposuction of the neck area, Kybella which is an injection now ( a new treatment ), and a neck lift.  All procedures can give an excellent result if the problem is handled correctly. 

The jowl area is a unique area that must be handled properly otherwise the face can be distorted.  This area can be handled at the same time, but the surgeon must be skilled in the approach.

Kybella is now a non-surgical treatment which is very effective and may work for you.
Liposuction can be performed under local anesthesia and also, give great results.

The neck lift procedure is a surgical procedure that yields the best result and can eliminate the jowls at the same time.  Please look at the surgeon's results to determine which procedure will give you the best result.

A proper examination would be the best to determine which one would work best for you.

Thank you 

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician